Question

Reset BIOS password laptop Toshiba Satellite L20-S231

By dragonov7 ·
Hello everyone. I have a Toshiba Satellite L20-S231 laptop and I need to know how to bypass or reset the bios password to be able to use the computer (owner forgot the password)... I have tried using the serial and USB keys but they didn`t do the trick... I have also searched for the technical toshiba manuals but I haven`t found any...

Can anybody help me with this???, point me in the right direction...

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

right direction

by grant.r.johnson.ctr In reply to Reset BIOS password lapto ...

the answer you seek relies in removeing a jumper and then resetting a jumper and/or bios battery, as far as where they're located inside the laptop, i'd have to have it in front of me, but trust me, it's in there somewhere and it requres probally taking off the keyboard and/or bottom of case

Collapse -

No, not with newer machines.

by robo_dev In reply to right direction

Newer laptops use actual hardware based encryption on a security chip...you can't just pull a jumper or yank the cmos battery. No password = new motherboard.

Since the power-on password must be entered every time you power on the machine, how the ____ did the owner 'forget' the password???

Maybe this guy pistol whipped the owner when he was stealing his laptop?

Collapse -

Since you have to enter this pasword every time you power on the machine

by robo_dev In reply to Reset BIOS password lapto ...

How, exactly, would the owner 'forget' the password?

Did the owner also 'forget' to unlock their car, so you had to break the window?

Collapse -

Plug the notebook into the wall

by The Scummy One In reply to Reset BIOS password lapto ...

power it on. Obtain a stun gun

Now, the easiest way is to use the stun gun to shock the
power connection (where the power comes in). It will
overvolt the BIOS and clear it.

Collapse -

This only works if you hold the power button down and

by robo_dev In reply to Plug the notebook into th ...

also hold the CTL-ALT-ESC-CAPS-SPACE-F10 buttons at the same time. Sometimes it helps to pour a solution of sodium chloride and distilled hydrogen dioxide onto the keyboard to ensure maximum data transfer.

Collapse -

Or hold an iron rod next to the

by The Scummy One In reply to This only works if you ho ...

power jack while using the stun gun. Gloves cannot be worn
for maximum effect

Collapse -

TR members do not assist password recovery. Do not respond to this thread

by OH Smeg In reply to Reset BIOS password lapto ...

The members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we the members of TechRepublic will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, etc.. To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

This template has been released under the GNU public license and you are encouraged to use it as a standard reply for questions of similar nature, provided that you make any modifications available to other users.

Collapse -

Sorry if it boddered people when I posted this question

by dragonov7 In reply to TR members do not assist ...

I`m sorry I asked for help, but the thing is I already call a toshiba center and it would cost me about $300.00 USD to reset the bios!!!, may be for some people that is not much money but it is to me... so I think I`ll keep looking somewhere else.

Collapse -

You need to realize that Criminals can use this information

by OH Smeg In reply to Sorry if it boddered peop ...

To perform Criminal Acts.

Also in some areas answering things like this is a Criminal Act in itself so what you consider as Asking for Help can be asking others to break the LAW and if caught suffer the Imprisonment that you will never know about.

As this is a Public Forum with the ability of anyone can read answers and are encouraged to the possibility exists that the information could get used for less that legit ends.

If this was to be more widely known the chances of you being robbed for the NB are much greater. So It's helping you by not answering publicly.

While you can take it to Toshiba for a fix you can also take it to any computer repairer to be fixed and when you do this you learn a very important lesson as well. BIOS Passwords are a {Double Edged Sword that can come back and bite you Big Time.

If you can not remember your passwords or keep a copy of them in a safe place you will be paying for this till you take steps to prevent it happening again.

The other thing is that some Toshiba's lock up after 3 failed attempts to bypass a BIOS Password and become unusable. So if you have tried more than 3 times to get past the Password you may have broken the NB beyond the ability to fix it cheaply and then a $300.00 US bill for the repair would be about right as a new M'Board and Labor would cost about that much.

But if you want to associate with Criminals don't be surprised if you pay the price for this action one way or another.

Col

Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)