Question

Resizing Windows 2003 partitions without reinstalling

By Zpunky ·
Hi,
I've used Partition Magic for years on workstations. Does anyone have a solid recommendation for a similar product for Windows 2003 Server? Here's why I need this:

We have consultants who installed an accounting system on an existing Windows 2003 Server with SQL Server 2005 Standard.

SQL is installed on the C Drive. When first installed, I had about 3 GB free disk space left (out of 12GB); I always install other programs and store data files on the D partition.

Their product (Deltek) isn't working. They are saying that SQL Server is missing stored procedures, missing because of a lack of disk space; I'm assuming system stored procedures, and I've asked for clarification. Their analysis doesn't seem plausible to me because I had ~3GB free c drive space after initial install. But as we know, they'll cross their arms and pout until I prove them wrong.

Their solution: Reinstall SQL Server on the D Drive. But, our existing accounting software uses the SQL Server and moving the db server would require a complete reconfiguration of the existing software.

By re-sizing the partitions I can provide more C Partition space and if necessary, do a repair install of SQL Server 2005 with much less interruption of services to the company.

Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Acronis Disk Director

by Churdoo In reply to Resizing Windows 2003 par ...

If the disk in Winders Disk Mangler is Basic Disk and not Dynamic Disk, Acronis Disk Director is awesome. Of course its MSRP is $609, but it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Collapse -

Thanks

by Zpunky In reply to Acronis Disk Director

I appreciate the response. If I have to get a partition manager I'll check it out and report back how it went.
Cheers

Collapse -

Two ways to extend server 2003.

by mecathy In reply to Resizing Windows 2003 par ...

I noted this is post on 2009, but the situation are the same.
To extend server 2003 could use Diskpart command line.
Windows Server 2003 allows you to use Diskpart to extend a DATA partition without system page file from command-line interface.

Note: The partition you would like to resize must be NTFS file system and there must be some contiguous unallocated space on the right side of the partition you would like to extend.

To add unallocated space into a data partition and keep data intact, you must first select the partition to give it the focus, and then you can input how large to extend.

Step1: Click "Start" > "Programs" > "Accessories" > "Command Prompt", type "diskpart" and press "Enter" to continue.

Step2: Type "list volume" to display the existing volumes on the disks.

Step3: Type "select volume 0". The number is the data volume that you want to extend.

Step4: Type "extend size=10240".

Then you should receive a message states that Diskpart successfully extended the volume.
Or use 3rd partition software like this tutorial: http://www.extend-partition.com/resource/resize-system-partition-server-2003.html

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)