General discussion

Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2010

By Oz_Media ·
As I know there are some metal fans around here, figured I'd pass on news that Ronnie James Dio passed away today, at age 67. He was first diagnosed with stomach cancer in November 2009 and had a short battle until his peaceful passing this morning.

Having just recently been hired for a local marketing stint with Heaven & **** (Black Sabbath's new moniker with DIO)and noting he was in absolute top form on stage, it comes as quite a shock to myself and I am sure many others in the music world. He really was looking and sounding fit as a fiddle.

Born in Portsmouth, New Hamsphire, DIO had a music career spanning 53 years, beginning with the release of the first single by Ronnie and the Red Caps and spanning through ELF, Rainbow, Black Sabbath (replacing Ozzy), his self titled band DIO and for the last few decades, Heaven & ****.

The iconic Heavy Metal 'Horns" salute, (index and little finger held up with the thumb and remaining fingers meeting in the palm), was brought to heavy metal by Dio (well he got it from his grandmother anyway).

DIO is renowned throughout the heavy metal genre as having THE metal voice, always jostling back and forth each year with Rob Halford as the Heavy Metal vocalist of the year.

Judging by the age of his fellow Heaven & **** (Black Sabbath) band members, Toni Iommi, Geezer Butler and the younger Vinnie Appice, I wouldn't expect to see another Heaven & **** tour, besides possibly a tribute or charity performance, but that is merely speculation on my part.

Dio will be missed in the music world, he mroe than made his mark, had a long career full of firsts and recived many accolades for his contributions.

For a video clip from the most recent tour:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ozmedia#p/a/0B3021A2100E634A/2/_Qb3WqyCLsg

http://www.youtube.com/user/ozmedia#p/a/0B3021A2100E634A/0/DBu5LvpF8Mg

And to think I was just sitting back at the sound desk, had I known better I would have made an effort!

R.I.P.
Ronnie James Dio - July 10, 1942 ? May 16, 2010

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Well now...

by NexS In reply to Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2 ...

I have to admit, though I'm not a remarked fan of his work (though definitely not an anti-fan!!), he has made his mark on the industry. I think, even though he will be missed, he left the world as a legend of sorts. Isn't the dream of all rock (or music in general) persons to go out "With a Bang"?
Look at Jackson, he was both famous and infamous, but left the world gobsmacked. Let the world see Dio for the great he's done - Don't miss him, remember him.

That's my piece.
R.I.P.

Collapse -

Sad, sad news

by NickNielsen In reply to Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2 ...

Although I am not as serious a metal fan as some here, I am a serious music fan.

Dio was all about good music. He will be missed. R.I.P.

Collapse -

And, what, Nick

by santeewelding In reply to Sad, sad news

Will we say about you?

Collapse -

Dunno 'bout you.

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to And, what, Nick

I'll say, 'he was all about...'

Collapse -

I suspect

by NickNielsen In reply to And, what, Nick

for many it will be "Finally" or "About time."

I'd settle for "Well, spit."

Collapse -

Took you a moment or two

by santeewelding In reply to I suspect

To respond -- didn't it?

Hope I didn't provoke a cascade of unsettling thoughts.

Actually, no. I lie. That's exactly what I was up to.

Collapse -

I was finishing the laundry

by NickNielsen In reply to Took you a moment or two

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Collapse -

sad news indeed

by Jaqui In reply to Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2 ...

a voice that can't be readily replaced has been stilled.

Collapse -

Not so fast

by santeewelding In reply to sad news indeed

There is you in your way.

Collapse -

lol

by Jaqui In reply to Not so fast

but I'm not a singer.

Back to Hardware Forum
18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next