General discussion

Routing not working 100% of time

By sallowsg ·
We have a Win 2000 server running as a firewall to the internet. We have two NICs, one for internal network other external.

Trouble is the that the internal network can see and use the internet, but when we fire up Outlook to send and receive email from an external POP server the program cannot find the pop server at all.

I have tried rebooting, turning off "routing and Remote access" but nothing seems to get it to work.

Any ideas?

Gary

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by seandurcan In reply to Routing not working 100% ...

If I'm right in my understanding, the problem could be that your method of downloading your email is prohibited by the service provider. maybe not, just a thought!

Collapse -

by sallowsg In reply to Routing not working 100% ...

NO, CAN DOWNLOAD EMAIL INTO the Win 2000 that runs the services ...

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to Routing not working 100% ...

Are you running just Windows2000 or are you running ISA Server on top of Windows2000?

If you're running ISA Server, you'll need to create the appropriate rules to permit POP3 (TCP port 110) traffic outbound.

If you're not running ISA Server, then it's important to know whether it is a DNS issue (can you ping the POP3 server by IP address but not name) or a port blockage issue caused by TCP 110 not being open.

Because the internal network can use the Internet, it sounds like DNS is working and it's more likely a firewall rules issue.

If you have more information, I'd be glad to take another stab at it.

regards,

paul

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)