General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

RRAS on multihomed 2000 server

by jlinebarg ·

I have a W2K server, SP2, multihomed with internal IP’s, main NIC has gateway, RRAS installed/configured for main NIC. Client’s authenticate user & password, but get error 733 for protocol negotiation failure. Happens from inside network or externalvia cable modem and router. Reinstalled Active Directory, RRAS, DNS, WINS, DHCP. Both client and server running TCP/IP only. About to remove 2nd NIC to see if that fixes it but it will break my SQL app. Any ideas? Have searched MS and web but not much help.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by jlinebarg ·

In reply to RRAS on multihomed 2000 server

Point value changed by question poster.

by duwaned ·

Hi.

I have had this problem before (or something similar anyways). The way I fixed my problem was by specifiying a static IP address pool for my RRAS clients. Try this and see if it helps. The MS Technet article I used for this was: Q177648.

Iknow that this article refers to NT 4, but it helped me with the same problem in 2000.

Here is another useful article: Q168720.
      This article also refers to several other possible problems, but mine was related to the DHCP assigend addresses.

To get to these articles, go to:
      http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb
      and search for the article numbers.

Hope this helps.
      Regards.
      Duwane

by shanghai sam ·

Did that already. 2 different docs that I have read state different things – one says have gateway only on 1 nic while the other states now gateway on either. Server is a PDC, DHCP, SQL, DNS, /everything. Only have one server so can’t off-load services. Looking to have to remove 2nd nic now.

by duwaned ·

OK, let look at this from another perspective then..

The NIC which the clients are dialing to must be the one that has a gateway specified, otherwise it wont know a route to respond to the clients request. Another thing to be vigilant of is to check that IP forwarding is not messing you around.

I just noticed something else about your configuration though… you said that bothe NICs have internal IPs… This is probably causing the W2K routing tables to get confused as to which card to out of. Try to change the subnet of the card which the clients are dialing to to an address out of your internal range, as it sounds to me like the IP connection is getting confused as to how to get back to the client.

Let me know if this helps.
      Regards.
      Duwane

by jlinebarg ·

I was hoping this was the fix. Had thought about it before but thought it should work even with both nic’s on the same subnet. Evrything I do to fix the network is a calculated risk for breaking an medical SQL app that uses the mac of the first nic for licensing. However, almost everything I do to either nic causes the app to break and need to be relicensed. My last resort is to remove/disable the 2nd nic. If it fails then, either no RRAS/VPN or complete rebuild of server. Not really an option.

by jlinebarg ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads