General discussion

RS-232 port

By cbutler ·
I have noticed some inconsistencies with RS-232 connections on pentium and 486 based machines. I've had this issue with two different devices.. one was a link for a TI calculator and the other was a Haas vertical machiner that sends data in the form of text files back to the computer. The issue on both of them was that I had no problem getting the devices to communicate with a 486 or slower computer, but when connecting them to a pentium machine, no communication occurs. Can anyone explain the incsonsistency to me?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

RS-232 port

by RCC In reply to RS-232 port

Although the pins on the external connector are standard, the ones on the motherboard are not! Motherboard manufacturers ship the connectors with the m/board for this reason. Are you sure you're using the native connectors?

Collapse -

RS-232 port

by cbutler In reply to RS-232 port

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

RS-232 port

by estebandelatorre In reply to RS-232 port

MAny differences...
1st. In new machines, the serial ports may be disabled and configured from the machine's setup. Check the correct setting there
2nd. Go to control panel/system/device manager, select com & lpt ports and then port settings. Hereyou may find some extra configurations due to the new UARTS chips
3rd. Check if the ports are working! use a DB9 serial mouse to test it.

Good luck

Collapse -

RS-232 port

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

RS-232 port

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)