General discussion

Running MS-DOS Program on Win 2000 Pro

By ptaylor ·
We have a state created MS-DOS program that resides on our Win 2000 Server SP3. I create a shortcut, from the server to the desktop, for our users to launch the program. This shortcut works great on Win 95/98 and I even tried it on my machine, whichis XP Pro. The program loads without any problems. However, I have been setting up a new machine for one of our users with Win 2000 Pro. The shortcut was created, but the program will not load into DOS on the machine. The error is:

"You are attempting to execute a bound DOS-OS/2 application. This application uses an unsupported OS/2 API, and therefore cannot be executed by the OS/2 Subsystem. After the appliction terminates, you may try re-running it using forcedos, as the DOS Subsystem may be able to support it."

I have checked and compared the CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT files, along with other files to see if there are any differences. NONE that I can find. I have tried the forcedos and was unable to make that work. I am not real savvy with DOS, but if there are detailed instructions, I follow well. Please help with a setup that will allow me to run this DOS based program on the Win 2000 machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jgenovesi In reply to Running MS-DOS Program on ...

Have you tried changing properities of the shortcut? Such as running it in protected mode?

Collapse -

by ptaylor In reply to Running MS-DOS Program on ...

Thanks for your input. I was unable to find a setting to run it in protected mode. We have decided to install XP on the machine instead of using Win 2000.

Collapse -

by ptaylor In reply to Running MS-DOS Program on ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)