General discussion

Salvage Latitude D800

By BR55 ·
Hi there,
I was reinstalling the O/S on my D800 when suddenly my screen went black. I had it powered with the a/c and the battery out and still no picture. I can power on the laptop, the power light stays on but there is no caps lock or num lock light on. The reason I was doing the reinstall was because the picture on my laptop moniter was falling, kinda like in the matrix when all the numbers were running only it was the picture on the moniter and it happened with both an external moniter and the laptop moniter. So I figured I may as well try to reinstall the O/S and see if it helped. But the screen went completely blank after the O/S had been installed and I was installing the chipset and stuff. Someone told me that I may have fried the mother board. Any comments or suggestions??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Well, it sounds like you've lost the video components, at least.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Salvage Latitude D800

Based on what you've entered, those were going before you tried the reinstall. That's why you couldn't get a picture either onboard or externally. Can you see enough to get into the BIOS settings? If not, if you manage to reinstall the OS you still aren't going to be able to see anything.

I'm not familiar with this model, so I don't know if it's new enough to be under warranty. If it isn't, it's time to remove the drive and see if someone can extract the data for you. Let us know how you like Windows 7.

Collapse -

Thank you :)

by BR55 In reply to Well, it sounds like you' ...

Thank you for your reply, I'm not worried about any of the data I just want to make this laptop work again. I can remove the hard drive and replace it I just wanted to be somewhat informed before I replace the hard drive and see if anyone else has any suggestions. What do you think?? Do you think it is the hard drive?
Thank you
Barbara

Collapse -

Repost as 'Question'

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Thank you :)

Try reposting this using the 'Ask a Question' button. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution.

On the 'Questions' forum you'll find TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. You'll find more of those members in 'Questions' than here in 'Discussions'.

Additional benefits to the membership include:

1) The "Questions" forum provides for your feedback, by way of your being able to mark "helpful" responses as such. This does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but only that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours, so that they might have a ready source of reference available, thereby perhaps obviating the need for them to repeat questions previously asked and answered.

2) The revised TR makes it quite difficult to find both "Discussions" and "Questions" that have not had a fairly recent post, owing to some functions co-mingling them in the listings. By keeping each type in their respective forums, it is easier for all to find what they are looking for.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)