Question

SATA ports 3 & 4 will not see any drive on my Dell optiplex 745

By Computerlrnctr@pinehurst. ·
When I install a second hard drive on the Dell Optiplex 745 in either sata port 3 or 4, it is not reconized by the computer? These ports show up in bios but are not active? How do I turn on these ports for use.

PS: bios level is 2.1 12/14/06

Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

It's in the BIOS

by Kenone In reply to SATA ports 3 & 4 will not ...

You can turn each port on and off.

Collapse -

Been in bios

by Computerlrnctr@pinehurst. In reply to It's in the BIOS

I have been in BIOS and I do not find any place to turn on these SATA port. Where is it exactly. Remember I have bios level 2.1.
Thank you
Roger

Collapse -

Thanks

by cusmith In reply to It's in the BIOS

Thanks for the post it saved me lots of time. Never thought the ports would be turned off.

Collapse -

In the BIOS

by Kenone In reply to SATA ports 3 & 4 will not ...

You should see drives listed - 0 through 3
Each drive can be individually enabled or disabled
As I recall you double click each drive to bring up the options, not sitting in front of a 745 right now. It should say somewhere on that screen how to change the options.

Collapse -

Bios settings

I went into BIOs again after I looked the SATA port over on the motherboard. The SATA ports on the motherboard are listed as 0,1,4,&5. In BIOS the SATA ports are 0.1.2.3.4. & 5. I have been trying to turn on 2 or 3 as they are the next ports and never tried 4 or 5.
When I turned on 4 and 5 everything is working fine.
Why do they list SATA ports 2 and 3 when they are not present on the motherboard?
Thanks for being patience with me.
Roger

Collapse -

Your Welcome

by Kenone In reply to Bios settings

I don'tknow why the listings don't agree, maybe ask the mobo manufacturer. I did get your e-mail but I don't check that acct very often.
Glad you got it sorted out.

Collapse -

Just 1 question here

by OH Smeg In reply to Bios settings

Does that model Dell come with the Option to have a RAID Array?

If it does the reason is that the ports in question are set to be used as a RAID only and not for general use as extra drives.

I've seen this on several different M'Boards now and it's always when the BIOS Description doesn't match the M'Board Screen printing.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)