General discussion

Save the i386 folder

By Megkilla ·
How many times did you blame yourself for forgetting that damn Windows CD ?
To avoid this, there is a simple thing to do, after installing your new OS, just explore the installation CD and copy the i386 folder into your main partition, or anywhere you want on your computer.

So the next time a program ask you to insert the installation CD,just select the i386 folder like you choose your CD, and that's it ! The setup will continue until next asking for the CD.

This is my first entry as a TechRepublic Member, hope it will help, even if lot's of people already know that thing.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

why bother?

by Jaqui In reply to Save the i386 folder

since windows won't run on an i386, the folder isn't needed, as a matter of fact, it is lying to you to even have it there.

Collapse -

Misunderstanding!?

by chris In reply to why bother?

Jaqui,

I think you havn't understood the post here.

Basicly if you copy across the I386 folder next time Windows ask for you to insert the CD you can just browse for it. Such as installing IIS, FTP , DNS or Games etc.

It's true that you won't be able to boot from it but that's not what Ethenyl was implying!

C.

Collapse -

Thanks Chris

by Megkilla In reply to Misunderstanding!?

Yes, in fact i was implying you to boot from that folder. The point was, when you need to change your Windows options, sometimes it will ask you to insert the CD, and if you don't have it, you're trapped. But, by copying this folder, you can finish any Windows setup. Thanks again Chris for clearing this point.

Collapse -

You missed my point,

by Jaqui In reply to Misunderstanding!?

the i386 folder on windows cd is FALSE ADVERTISING, because WINDOWS WON'T RUN ON AN I386.

doesn't matter if is saves finding the cd, it matters that it is clear false advertising.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)