Question

sbs 2003 DC - problem with XP Pro joining domain

By terrydoty44 ·
I have looked through other questions and topics and have had no clear direction based on others.

I have a SBS 2003 R2 domain controller. External D-Link router handling DHCP.(192.168.2.1)
fixed IP address for Server (192.168.2.254)
I am unable to joing an XP Pro work station to the domain. I can see the domain controller in explorer and can log in that way but I can't join it. domain is SBS-DS.local
I'm sure it's a DNS issue but I can't figure out what to do.
when I run http://sbs-ds.local/connectcomputer it just sits there

Any other deails that will help just let me know,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Addresses

by wehkingml In reply to sbs 2003 DC - problem wit ...

could be address related. Make sure your pc has the domain controller listed as it's primary dns. If it has the wrong dns, it will never join.

Also depending on the size of your subnet your span of the entire 192.168.2 might be an issue.
You might try moving your server to one number above your router, then change dns in the dhcp.

Collapse -

DNS

by ThatScottGuy In reply to Addresses

Yes I beleive Wehkingml is right in his assessment that DNS is the problem. With the router you are using though, it probably defaults to a /24 subnet. If your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then you are ok there. Make sure your PC is pointed to the domain controller for DNS, or that the DNS server you are using knows how to find the domain controller. If your DNS is set to use DNS from your ISP, it probably cant find your local DC. To see if your DNS is working, use NSLOOKUP. HTH .. Scott

Collapse -

SBS

by CG IT In reply to sbs 2003 DC - problem wit ...

first off you shouldn't use your router for DHCP address assignment. The reason for this is that with 1 NIC setup on the SBS box, the windows firewall is turned off. If you use the 2 NIC setup one that connects to your router and the other one a switch that all clients connect to, the Windows Firewall is turned on on the NIC that connects to the router. You then have a layered firewall defense.

Next is that the SBS box MUST be assigned a static IP address, period. Doesn't matter if it's 1 NIC or 2. Typically the CIECW wizard will configure NIC settings for the SBS box including default gateway and DNS settings for the 1 NIC configuration. The default addressing is 192.168.16.2. mask of 255.255.255.0 If you run the 2 NIC configuration, the NIC that connects to the router is considered the External NIC and needs to be manually set with an Address on the router subnet. During the intial setup using the CIECW wizard, the on screen instructions typically say to disconnect or disable this NIC so that the wizard will only configure the internal NIC. With the 1 NIC setup, you don't have to worry.

Also, you should run DHCP on the SBS box be it 1 NIC or 2 NIC configuration because the CIECW wizard configures DHCP option that provide clients with necessary resources such as DNS.

Either way, if you run the 1 NIC or 2 NIC configuation, have the SBS box be the authoritative DHCP server for the network and always use the CIECW wizard to configure connection to the internet. you'll find the CIECW wizard in the things to do list in the system management console under Connect to the Internet.

Collapse -

then run http://<server name>/connect computer

by CG IT In reply to SBS

once you have accomplished or setup your SBS box in the 1 NIC or 2 NIC configuration, there are a couple of other steps you need to take before you run the connectcomputer wizard.

first, you need to create a computer account for the computer your going to join to the domain. you do this by running the add computer wizard from the server management console. This sets up the computer account in the correct computer OU in the domain. If you don't do this step, the computer account will end up in a different computer OU and the client applications install wizard in the server management console won't work properly.

Next is you create a domain users account for the user who will use the client. you again do this from the server management console and create a user account using the wizard. Again, you want to use the wizard so that the user account create gets put in the correct OU and the correct security template is applied.

You do have the option of migrating the local machine administrator account or any local machine user account profile to the domain user account profile. you'll see this once you start the connect computer wizard.

the final setp is to ensure that the client computer that has a firewall allows traffic through it . Usually the built in Windows XP Firewall automatically configures itself to allow traffic to the server. 3rd party firewalls will have to be configured to allow DHCP/DNS traffic through it OR you can turn it off until you get the computer joined to the domain, then turn it back on, or configure the firewall to allow LAN traffic based on subnet range.

once you do all these steps, your ready to join the workstation to the domain. from the client computer, open up your browser and type http://<server name>/connectcomputer

or http://<server name>/connectcomputer/start.htm

you can user the netbios name for the computer name as well.

Collapse -

is this the only box giving trouble?

by sgt_shultz In reply to sbs 2003 DC - problem wit ...

if yes,
can you ping the dc from the bad box?
anything in the event logs on the xp box and on the sbs server?
wonder if safe mode with networking is worth a try.
have you eliminated network connectivity issues as a possibility?

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)