General discussion

SBS 2003 Logon/logoff takes a long time

By andy ·
Logging onto and off of my SBS 2003 server takes a long time. Having checked my event logs I did not find any event that would indicate why the long delay. I usually run the server without a keyboard, mouse, or monitor and log on using Remote Desktops mmc. I tried connecting a monitor and keyboard and noticed the same delay logging on locally. I plan to implement Microsoft article ID 325376, but as of yet have not. Does anybody have any ideas of how resolve or troubleshoot this problem?

-Andy

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by 3xp3rt In reply to SBS 2003 Logon/logoff tak ...

It's only a suggestion: your hardware configuration and amount of RAM isn't low?
My Windows 2003 SBS server?s hardware configuration is dual Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM on Intel MB and my storage controller is an Intel SCSA raid controller on PCI. So I never meet your problem on remote login and logout.

Collapse -

by andy In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
System has been fine up till now. Specs are within MS recommended specs.

Collapse -

by ICB's corner In reply to SBS 2003 Logon/logoff tak ...

When you shut down the server, the services going to stop and they make that in order because there are dependent one on another. If the server is Exchange then shut down last longer because it performs much operations to close the services.
I don't know if its a good idea to rush this process. I think that Microsoft Id 325376 can give a clue of what server does.

Collapse -

by ICB's corner In reply to

Of course the shut down time depend on hardware performance.

Collapse -

by andy In reply to

Im not shutting the system down, just logging on and off.

Collapse -

by andy In reply to SBS 2003 Logon/logoff tak ...

Off hand I don't have the system specs but they are above microsoft recomended specs. I am not shutting the system just loggin on and logging off. This issue just started within the past couple of weeks. The system has been in operation for around 3 months. This morning I logged onto the system it took around 1 hour for me to get a desktop.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to SBS 2003 Logon/logoff tak ...

here's a KB on long logon times after W2003 SP1 installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830311/en-us

Sounds like your problem.

Would be helpful if there was more information like what the event logs say [if anything].

Collapse -

by andy In reply to

Checked my version of the Rdpdr.sys file and I have v5.2.3790.1830 which is later version than the fix. Also my delay in logging is present if I log in at the console or remotely. I scanned my security event logs during the timeframe I performed a logon and did not notice anything that struck me as strange. Maybe I am not auditing enough info to get a log of my problem. What do you recommend I audit? Is there a log file somewhere else that I should be looking at?

Collapse -

by andy In reply to SBS 2003 Logon/logoff tak ...

Having taken the steps in 325376 I now have a new message during the login process. The message states "executing wlnotify.dll" I will have that message for around 10 minutes then it dissappears. After that I have a blank blue screen for another 10 minutes or longer till the desktop appears. In my testing I logged on once remotely, while still logged on I started another terminal session and logged in with the same user account. The 2nd login happened in mere seconds. But logging off of the 2nd login is taking several minutes.

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to SBS 2003 Logon/logoff tak ...

Have you scanned this server for adware/malware/spyware and viruses? This sounds suspiciously like something is hogging all the memory or redirecting your server's communication somehow.

Hope this helps!

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next