Question

SBS 2003 + Terminal Server Implementation

By msft ·
hi there,

I have been tasked to try to implement a terminal server as a child server in a SBS 2003 as DC environment. Current config:

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition, SP1, IIS 6.0 Installed, DHCP Server. Currently used as data server and for Exchange and RWW.

Company wants to have a dedicated terminal server for use of our accounting system called MYOB. Just wondering how I would go to implement SBS 2003 and Terminal Services together i.e. setup, networking and licensing (in particular, how would we have to use CAL's, we would like to continue to use SBS as Exchange server and main DC, so how would we license it so that all of our stations could use TS and still have access to the Exchange server and check email etc seeing as we cannot use our SBS 2003 CAL's to log onto the terminal server or use it for windows server 2003 and TS will be running off a Windows Server 2003 system.)

Lots of thanks for your help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

not a problem

by CG IT In reply to SBS 2003 + Terminal Serve ...

join the server that will be hosting terminal services to the SBS domain as a member server. Install terminal services CALs.

if you use device CALs on the SBS box [good idea the terminal services server will use up one of those SBS box CALs so if you don't have any spare CALs, you'll have to get one for the TS box.

Collapse -

problem?

by msft In reply to not a problem

thanks for that mate. However, does that mean that our current CAL's (we just have enough, currently using 9 out of 10 CAL's (1 Not needed for Administrator, and we purchased 5 on top of the bundled 5) will not be used anymore? I.e. we will have to migrate all users over to a TS CAL??

If so, will we have to purchase 10 TS CAL's (User or device better? - we have at the moment, 7 Full time CAL utilising Staff, and just 2 CAL's used for Exchange identities) and then convert some/all of our SBS CAL's to Device CAL's (think MS will let you convert once?? - need to check) and join the TS as a member server?

Exchange should function normally just as long as correct Server Name/IP Address i would think.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)