General discussion

SBS 2003 Poweredge 2850 RAID Setup

By derron ·
I have a few questions about my new install of windows sbs 2003 on my dell 2850.

Server: Dell Poweredge 2850 with 6-73gig 15k drives. Dell raid controler <control m> at post.

My plan was to setup a RAID-0 or stripped configuration for my OS with 2 73gigs. And then do raid 5 for the last four for protecting my data. Now after reading on more I am seeing alot of people saying to use a HOT SPARE. This is a new thing for me and I would like to do this correctly or at least with the most education for my situation.

Stipping the drives on the OS seems to me to be a no brainer for speed and its easy to reinstall software. As far as the data it will need to be protected with backups and the best RAID i can do with 4-73gig drives. I will need alot of space for this server so that is an issue.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Derron

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Why not mirror?

by NickNielsen In reply to SBS 2003 Poweredge 2850 R ...

You're not locked into the hot spare or the striped set, but mirroring will provide the redundancy you require with much less latency after failover.

Some options are:

Create partitions on drives 0 (for the OS), 2 and 4. Then use drives 1, 3 and 5 as the mirrors. This will give you 3 mirrored drives of 73 GB each.

Or create a mirrored pair with drives 0 and 1, then create a striped set using drives 2 through 5. You will now have a single 73 GB mirrored set, with a 146 GB striped set.

The nice thing is you get to make the choice. But then you have to live with any consequences.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums