Networks

General discussion

SBS 2003 Poweredge 2850 RAID Setup

By derron ·
I have a few questions about my new install of windows sbs 2003 on my dell 2850.

Server: Dell Poweredge 2850 with 6-73gig 15k drives. Dell raid controler <control m> at post.

My plan was to setup a RAID-0 or stripped configuration for my OS with 2 73gigs. And then do raid 5 for the last four for protecting my data. Now after reading on more I am seeing alot of people saying to use a HOT SPARE. This is a new thing for me and I would like to do this correctly or at least with the most education for my situation.

Stipping the drives on the OS seems to me to be a no brainer for speed and its easy to reinstall software. As far as the data it will need to be protected with backups and the best RAID i can do with 4-73gig drives. I will need alot of space for this server so that is an issue.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Derron

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Why not mirror?

by NickNielsen In reply to SBS 2003 Poweredge 2850 R ...

You're not locked into the hot spare or the striped set, but mirroring will provide the redundancy you require with much less latency after failover.

Some options are:

Create partitions on drives 0 (for the OS), 2 and 4. Then use drives 1, 3 and 5 as the mirrors. This will give you 3 mirrored drives of 73 GB each.

Or create a mirrored pair with drives 0 and 1, then create a striped set using drives 2 through 5. You will now have a single 73 GB mirrored set, with a 146 GB striped set.

The nice thing is you get to make the choice. But then you have to live with any consequences.