Question

SBS 2003 R2 Premium OEM to full Retail

By mihai.motea ·
Hi all,

after 2 weeks of internet reading I couldn't find a solution for:
1. we have one sbs 2003 r2 premium oem with 20 device cal, and the server is suggesting to us that we'll crash. (is stopping, not booting ...).

We what to by a new one, but what with the os. what can we do to keep it as it is. an upgrade to 2008 is not the best for us at this moment and neither the transition pack to windows 2003 standard. the cost is huge, comparing with what we already payed in one year of work.

Is there an option to Microsoft to upgrade from oem to fpp. Is true that when we bought the server no one knew about the limitation of changing the server with a new one in a case of crash.(and neither the salesman inform us) P.S. the motherboard of the old server is out of production.

Please help, I don't know how much time I have until a crash we'll happen.

10x, Mihai

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Well the Official Ruling from M$ is

by OH Smeg In reply to SBS 2003 R2 Premium OEM t ...

That the OEM Product is Licensed to the Original Hardware so it's not within the License Agreement to install on New Hardware.

If you however Repair a Faulty unit you are entitled to reinstall the existing Software in the form of an OS and use the CAL's that you already have.

With the cost of a Software Package like this it may be a better option to Repair the unit rather than buy new. However if you want to buy new go to a company who specializes in supplying Businesses as M$ is still selling 2003. But you will not get something like that through one of the Mass Market Retail suppliers as they honestly do not know what is required or how to support business.

Col

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)