Question

SBS 2003 Server can't see other computers

By eward ·
I have complete functionality from the client side, i.e. they can save to and browse the sever just fine, even ping it. But it won't go the other way.

The server dosen't see any computers in the Network connections > domain and it times out any ping request to the clients.

Apperently it's still working fine as a DHCP server.

The computer browser service is running.

I can't think of what it could be, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Firewall

by p.j.hutchison In reply to SBS 2003 Server can't see ...

Maybe there is a firewall enabled on the server and blocking outbound track including ICMP messages (pings). Check that.

Collapse -

Symantec Client Security Firewall Server settings

by eward In reply to Firewall

Thanks fo the advice. I recently install Symantec Client Security (which includes Antivirus and client firewall) on my server and many of the clients. If it is a firewall issue, I would assume it's on the server, since I can't see ANY clients, not just the ones with client security already.

Unforutunatly, before I can test this out, I need to know how to change the firewall settings of the symantec client firewall _on the server_. Symantec security manager will easily let me update the policies for the clients, but I can't figure out how to change the settings for the firewall running on the server.

Anyone know how?

Collapse -

Since the clients can see the server

by Dumphrey In reply to Symantec Client Security ...

but the server can not see the clients, its more likely to be a configuration on the client side firewall. Check the policy to see if its able to set a single exception or allow the entire LAN access through the firewall.

Collapse -

Hi

by bolden.kekana In reply to SBS 2003 Server can't see ...

Please try this.It could be your firewall is still on turn it off then try again,should this step fail ,let me know we can try to work to gether on that.Its fusstrating i know .just hang in there.So other users can't share a printer ?

Collapse -

LLTP responder update under Windows 2003

The LLTD responder update lets XP computers appear in Windows Vista?s Network Map feature. By default, you can?t run the LLTP responder update under Windows 2003; Windows 2003 servers will show as unknown location devices. However, you can try to force the update to run by performing these steps:
1.Download the update from www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4f01a31d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea.
2.Attempt to run the update on a Windows 2003 server, but don?t click OK to the error about updatebr.inf.
3.At the root of the C drive, you?ll see a folder name in the format 7be840d99a33259a5b77a0 a9; open this folder and copy the update folder to another location.
4.Click OK to the error message that displays.
5.In the copy of the update folder, right-click update.exe and select Properties.
6.Under the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP.
7.Click Apply, then click OK.
8.Execute update.exe
This might work for you, it might not. But worth a try. Have tried it on WHS (Windows Home Server) and it runs fine.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Collapse -

The LLTD link is here..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4f01a31d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea

Collapse -

Thanks, but...

by eward In reply to SBS 2003 Server can't see ...

Thanks for the new responses, but I fixed this problem back in October, shortly after the original post. Unfortunatly I can't remember what the problem was. Regardless, Thank you.

Collapse -

Same problem but tiny bit different! PLEASE HELP!!!

by maslandry In reply to Thanks, but...

I am having the same problem but i dont have the same firewall. I have Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition. No one can see the Small Business Server 2003 in the My network places, including the server and the clients. And no one can access any of the files on the server or use the remote desktop. Can someone help me?!!!?

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)