Question

SBS 2003 Strange Problems - Any assistance welcome

By luca.viggiani ·
SBS 2K3 - Single Server running exchange. We had DNS probs a few days earlier and one of the tech guys got a call that the server was unreachable again, he rebooted and told the users to wait 15 mins and everything should be fine. Fifteen mins later I got a call to say everything was far from fine.

1. Netlogon wouldn't start. It had a dependency of LanmanServer which didn't exist. Took dependency out, still no joy. Re-installed File and Print Sharing on the Server, now everything starting OK, BUT

2. During Workstation logon getting Event 1058, cannot access gpt.ini on \\server\FQDN\sysvol\sysvol\{blah-blah-blah}\policies\gpt.ini - Network location is invalid.

Ran DCDIAG, got
"[SERVER] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 1231, The network location cannot be reached." on Netlogons test.

Also with MachineAccount test got:
"Could not open pipe with [SERVER]:failed with 1231: The network location cannot be reached.
Could not get NetBIOSDomainName
Failed can not test for HOST SPN
Failed can not test for HOST SPN
* Missing SPN null)
* Missing SPN null)

Similar results with Services, frssysvol, kccevent and systemlog.

Then ran NETDIAG and got:

"NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Failed
List of NetBt transports currently configured:
[FATAL] Unable to retrieve transport list from Redir. [ERROR_NETWORK_UNREACHABLE]

NetBT name test. . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[FATAL] Failed to read NBT interface info from the registry."

During server boot I'm also getting Event ID 4311 - NETBT - Initialisation failed because the driver device could not be created.

Has my re-installing F and P Sharing screwed up Netbios settings or can anyone suggest a way forward on this.

Thanks

Luca

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

any DNS problems spell disaster

by CG IT In reply to SBS 2003 Strange Problems ...

because Active Directory requires DNS to function properly.

but anyways, sounds like something happened to the sysvol and netlogon shared folders.

Is Windows Server 2003 SP2 installed?

might try a rollback to SP1 and see if that solves the problem. If so, then it's the network card drivers can't handle the SP2 update that supports offloading and jumbo frames.

Collapse -

Possibly caused by MS Update???

by luca.viggiani In reply to any DNS problems spell di ...

>Is Windows Server 2003 SP2 installed?

We haven't just installed SP2, although this may have been result of a MS Update.

>might try a rollback to SP1 and see if that solves the problem. If so, then it's the network card drivers can't handle the SP2 update that supports offloading and jumbo frames

I'll have a look at the card drivers tonight

Thanks

Collapse -

Windows Server 2003 SP2

by CG IT In reply to Possibly caused by MS Upd ...

was a roll out about 2 weeks ago and if your server uses Windows Update, your server got SP2.

now SP2 causes some networking connectivity problems in SBS with SP2 supporting jumbo frames and offloading. Some NICs don't support this and that's where the connectivity problems comes. Updating to most current drivers[2007] is a fix.

Collapse -

No on SP2

by luca.viggiani In reply to Windows Server 2003 SP2

No, just got back from the center. It's SP1.
But I did fix the NETBT probs by patching "\Device\" into one of the blank parameter keys in HKLM\.....\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT
Read this in another thread.

This got rid of the NETBT errors and also the FATAL errors listed in NETDIAG. Also Seized FSMO roles, which might have helped. My feeling now is that DNS parameters in AD are corrupted somehow. I'll continue in the morning.

Luca

Collapse -

horses, not zebras

by sgt_shultz In reply to SBS 2003 Strange Problems ...

can you ping this server?

Collapse -

LLamas

by CG IT In reply to horses, not zebras

or humpty back camels and some chimpanzes

cats and rats and elephants..

but no unicorns

Collapse -

Ba Da Boom Ba Da Bing

by sgt_shultz In reply to LLamas

I just had a really fun interview for a small rural town. The IT manager asked me:
what would you do if you were working on a server at the end of the day with a policeman standing over your shoulder and the town manager walks in and demands your attention.
well, CG I just couldn't help myself.
I said, 'I would tell the cop to shoot the guy'.
they cracked up for a whole minute. I think I might have the job...

Collapse -

and you were unemployed?

by CG IT In reply to Ba Da Boom Ba Da Bing

well hope you get the job

Collapse -

Yes

by luca.viggiani In reply to horses, not zebras

Yes, both server name and FQDN. Just went in this evening and managed to get to the sysvol as well, but still no joy on workstation login, getting LSASRV errors. No logon servers available.

Will resume hostilities in the morning

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)