Question

SBS 2008 Active directory

By takuya_101 ·
I need to have a public limited account which can be logged in by many users at the same time. I am using SBS server 2008 stranded.

No network drive will be given to these people.

How can I achieve this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

you could enable the guest account, but I don't advise that.

by CG IT In reply to SBS 2008 Active directory

The guest account is really the only account in Active Directory that's more restrictive than the standard user account.

For published services, I don't think you want the public to be able to get to the SBS server in any manner, even on Sharepoint.

You could try anonymous access on the Sharepoint site, but I haven't heard that the SBS CALs allow unlimited connections to Sharepoint that's published. From what I remember, the # of connections = number of CALs whether public or on the LAN for all services.

Collapse -

What about on 7

by takuya_101 In reply to you could enable the gues ...

Well with that idea blown out of the water, why not I use a local account, each system is running Windows 7.

Is it the same with Windows XP to limited an account under the local Users and Groups accounts? under MMC?

Collapse -

It's how Microsoft does their servers, the workstations don't matter

by CG IT In reply to What about on 7

The server requires a client access license to connect to it. Doesn't matter if it's a remote connection or a LAN connection, if a user authenticates to the server it's connecting thus requires a CAL.

Same with Small Business server and it's OWA/RWW. you install CALs and they work for RWW/OWA because the user authenticates thus uses a CAL and you would have enough CALs for all users[or devices where 1 user = 1 device. This works for Sharepoint Services as well, if you publish that to the Internet [which you really shouldn't but I know some that do].

So back to limited user accounts. The guest account is the lowest rights account available.

But if you turn on anonymous access, the guest account has the same rights as domain users. Not a good thing.

see this Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312136

see this Microsoft KB on guest account for XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)