Question

SBS 2008 setup

By ONITSEC ·
Hello everybody

I have a question, I recently installed my SBS 2008. Everthing is working, beside my exchange part of the server. If I try sending mails out, they don't go anywhere, and I also don't receive my mails. If I do an nslookup, the message comes back, that my name server failed. What did I due wrong? My domain name is hosted by canaca.com, do I have to change the name server entry on there end under my domain manager, or do I have to add there name server to my DNS? It is the first time I am setting this up on my own, and I would like to be able to handel that myself. Can anybody give me some advice on what I have to check, or maybe what entry's I have to change.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Cheers
Oliver

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

some tools to use

by shasca In reply to SBS 2008 setup

Nothing listed for 2008 these are for 2007 but should still help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397215.aspx

Collapse -

you need an MX record that points to your public

by CG IT In reply to SBS 2008 setup

address. If your domain name registar hosts the authoritative name servers for your FQDN, then you simply ask them to create a MX record that points to your public address.

If your domain name registar doesn't host the authoritative name servers for your FQDN, then whoever does needs to create a MX record that points to your public IP address.

Special Note: they must point the MX record to your public IP address not your domain name.

Collapse -

SBS 08

by Nimmo In reply to SBS 2008 setup

What type of bounce back do you get when sending an email?

Once you've done this run the mail tracking tool.

As for your nslookup problem you need to create a reverse lookup zone in your DNS for you domain subnet, create a ptr record in it pointing to your DC.

You need to get your ISP or if you have access to your zone record you need to create a MX record pointing to your external IP address.

On your domain make sure you have inbound/outbound firewall rules to allow SMTP.

Once you've done this run the mail tracking tool again.

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)