Question

SBS to Windows 2003 DC

By eelamt ·
Hey Guys.. here is my situation..

We were running windows small business server (SBS) but eventually our organization is growing up and we are decided to move off from SBS and have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition with Active Dir which will replace the SBS. Any Idea how could I achieve this? Please help me out.. oh by the way.. we are running Exchange server which came with the SBS..

Thanks a milllioon

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Ok...

by bart777 In reply to SBS to Windows 2003 DC

You are going to have an issue with Exchange.

As far as the DC is concerend there is no problem. You could just DCPROMO the new server and use it as a secondary DC and Global Catalog.

The problem occurs when you try to get rid of SBS. Since Exchange is tied to SBS you can't have one without the othre.

If you really want to get rid of it you will also need to purchase a copy of MSExchange.

Now, that being said, you have up to 75 connections with SBS so you could keep growing until you begin to reach that threshold. Over that time you can move your file shares, printers and other functions to the new DC. Once you are needing to move you can then create a new Exchange server to migrate to and remove the SBS functions.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

there is a transition pack

by CG IT In reply to Ok...

to transition from SBS 2003 to W2003 Standard.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServerSolutions/SBS/en/library/75a8c83b-24b8-4de4-928b-9e01e5b732b31033.mspx?mfr=true

I would read the entire article and also go to the SBS Community Newsgroup and post a question on how well this works and the cost effectiviness is on transitioning.

Collapse -

what will happen to my exchange

by eelamt In reply to there is a transition pac ...

what will happen to my exchange server since it is wiht SBS?

Collapse -

I only left with 4 more users

by eelamt In reply to Ok...

I only left with 4 more users on SBS... we are growing too fast (just in two years we hired about 43 new employes..) so i only have a month the most to upgrade all these.. so the DC part is clear all i have to do is.. make the new server as a secondary server... now the problem is exchange like u said... can i run DC and exchange in 1 server ? can u help me out

Collapse -

Sorry it took so long to respond.

by bart777 In reply to I only left with 4 more u ...

You can run Exchange on a DC but it is NOT recommended. Just 1 thing to remember.
If you ever demote this server your OWA will break due to a metabase error. So always keep the DC as your exchange box.

I would then make that old server a normal DC in the domain so that the AD functions could be given help.

As for the migration here is a link for you.
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Small-Business-Server-2003-Exchange-Standard-Part2.html

Collapse -

Transition pack

by lmcginn In reply to SBS to Windows 2003 DC

Microsoft has a transition pack for this and you can use your existing licensing for the migration. See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/planning/transition.mspx

for more details.

Collapse -

what will happen to my exchange server

by eelamt In reply to Transition pack

what will happen to my exchange server since it is wiht SBS?

Collapse -

moving off of SBS and Exchange.

by dmanganiello In reply to what will happen to my ex ...

Hi,

You can add W2K3 Std Ed. to AD as an additional DC in the SBS domain. As for the exchange, we have implemented the SBS server as an exchange server only and migrated all apps, folders, and home directories to the W2K3 Std. Ed. server. AD will still continnue to function properly. Pay close attention to the promotion process and replication. You should be fine. Make sure you stop all non-essential 3rd party services during the promotion process and also stop exchange services.

Collapse -

Beware Transition Pack

by peter.langtry In reply to SBS to Windows 2003 DC

Hi,
Before you go ahead and run the Transition Pack do a search and check out the problems that may follow. In particular, check out the silent failure. It can leave you with a big mess.

Before you start:
1) Take an image backup
2) Roll back IE7 to IE6.
3) Remove Veritas Backup Exec (if applicable)
4) Stop all 3rd party services from running.
5) Ensure the server is running the same service pack as the Transition Pack you are installing.
6) Good luck.

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)