General discussion

SBS2003 Mapping to Linux Box

By gseery ·
Hi,

When I try to map network drive from an SBS2003 server to a linux server in our network,I get the following error message,this error message also occurs when i try to map an XP pro machine to the same Linux box,I have no trouble with any other OS's
"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured,
Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller,either because the domain controller is unavailable,or access has been denied.

If I do the following it rectifies my mapping error,however I then cannot map a drive to my SBS2003 server"If on an XP machine I go to Computer Management, Local Policies, Security Options, and Microsoft Network Client: Digitally Sign Communications (if server agrees) and disable it I can access the linux share OK. However, I get an access denied message if I then try and access the SBS2003 sever. If I change it back to Enable I can access the sbs2003 server but not the linux.

All help greatly appreciated.

Slan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gseery In reply to SBS2003 Mapping to Linux ...

The Linux box is running Samba,so it appears on the network as if it is an NT4 server.

Collapse -

by support In reply to SBS2003 Mapping to Linux ...

make sure your samba server is runnig in standalone mode. you dont want it trying to emulate a PDC as it will conflict with the SBS server.

Probably best bet is to disable digitally signing communications.
See the link http://www.wlug.org.nz/ActiveDirectorySamba

Collapse -

by dcurry In reply to SBS2003 Mapping to Linux ...

you may also want to consider setting winbind on your linux/samba server. This will permit users to and user access to shares such as home directories to be controlled by SBS2003' AD.

I used this solution, previously on Windows 2000 and 2003 domains, saving my clients thousands of dollars per server, just in licensing fees, alone.

Good luck

Daniel

Collapse -

by br In reply to SBS2003 Mapping to Linux ...

Maybe you want to disable enforcement of smb-signing on the SBS, too.

Back to Linux Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)