Question

SBS2003 to W2KSRV 2003 new hardware

By emmmu10k1 ·
Ok here's the scenario I have this client with the following setup in different geographic locations.

2 forests 1 DC with W2K3SRV and the other DC SBS2003. both servers independent.
the 2 forests are connected via a WAN.

Now they want to replace SBS2003 with new hardware and W2K3SRV.
What's the easiest way I could do all the migration along with minimum downtime. How long would this process take? My suggestion is as below, pls tell me is it appropriate?

I do an ADPrep /forestprep for the SBS ?

1. run a dcpromo on the new server along with DNS, Wins, dhcp etc. since the domain name remains the same I can add this as an additional DC in an exisiting domain right? as the domain name wouldn't change.

2. I need to transfer all the AD users from SBS via ADMT right? will ADMT transfer the SID history too with no problems?
then I need to transfer the global catalogue as well from the SBS on to the new server?

what about all the users policies?

transfer the fsmo roles with ntdsutil

will a copy paste of the users data work to migrate to new server?

finally demote SBS server.

I know there are lots of questions here but basically you understand the situation, any help would be greatly appreciated.

kiran

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

By joining the new DC to the same forest, you don't need ADMT

by Churdoo In reply to SBS2003 to W2KSRV 2003 ne ...

Since you're joining your new W2K3 DC to the same forest, you won't need ADMT as all of your AD will be replicated to the new DC.

The problem will be, that SBS requires itself to hold all FSMO roles, so that will determine how to "demote" the SBS when ready.

You don't specify if you're using the Exchange component in your SBS and if so, how you plan to migrate that. If Exchange is being used, then migrating Exchange will also be a significant part of your migration.

Might I suggest the SBS Transition Pack, which will split your SBS and licensing into its separate components? Once you apply the transition pack to the existing SBS, the FSMO holding requirement will be lifted, allowing you to TRANSFER roles to the new DC (rather than SEIZE roles) and you should be able to transfer the licensing to the new server, so should be a less expensive path as well.

You haven't told us the number of users in the SBS organization and things like where the file and printer shares are, so it's difficult to say how long. Since SBS, we do know it's less than 75 users, so in general we can say that with proper planning, preparation, and proper use of GP and/or scripts, the migration can happen over 2-3 days (this includes the Exchange migration as well). And if the shop is NOT a 24/7 shop, and is using logon scripts and mapped drives rather than UNC paths, then downtime should be minumal.

Hope this is helpful

Collapse -

more info

by emmmu10k1 In reply to By joining the new DC to ...

ok so since all AD will be replicated you mean this will transfer over SID details as well.

There is no exchange being used as of this moment so thats a headache off. I dont think it will be practical using the transition pack as this is a new server new hardware and it will hold windows server 2003 as we hope to retire SBS 2003.

so you dont think i would be successful with the transferring of fsmo I hear seizing could be quite critical?

how could i easily transfer all the group policies on to the new server?

this is my first time and I am afraid of messing this up.

thanks

Collapse -

SID details and Group Policies as well

by Churdoo In reply to more info

Yes, the SID's and SID histories are part of AD and would be replicated to the new server when the new server is promoted to a DC, as would the Group Policies, logon scripts, etc.

With no Exchange, yes that cuts the workload down quite a bit.

I did understand in your original post that you're migrating to new hardware, but the benefits of the Transition Pack are greater than simply whether you're migrating to new hardware or keeping existing, and it goes along with transferring or seizing FSMO roles. There may still be a good reason for not using the transition pack, I would say because of the cost if you're not planning on using Exchange Server at that site.

I did not say that you won't or can't be successful seizing versus transferring FSMO roles. We only have general information so I can only speak in general terms. You can be successful seizing roles, but you have to understand the difference and your migration plan has to accomodate accordingly.

By not going to the Transition pack, your SBS while on the network will never allow another DC to be an FSMO role holder. This means that at some point when you feel you've transferred all data, shares, printers, DHCP, etc. off of the SBS, you will simply turn it off (or disconnect from the network) without demoting it, and must never connect it again to that network (as it will assume it still controls the network and you'll have problems). With the SBS disconnected from the network, you can then SEIZE all FSMO roles on the new server and you'll have to ntdsutil: metadata cleanup the SBS from the Production AD. From the point of seizing roles forward, you can never connect the old SBS to the same network. This just makes this step a significant go/no-go point in your migration plan in that you'll have to be sure that you got everything you need off of the old server, or if you haven't, you have to transfer any missed material in some way other than connecting the old server back to the same network.

Back to the transition pack. You may still have good reasons not to use the transition pack. As I said, general, and I just want to give you benefit of more detail here. The transition pack:
- Splits SBS into its fully licensed components, removing any SBS-specific limitations in those components
- Converts SBS licensing for Servers and CALs into the W2K3 Server, Ex2K3 Server, W2K3 CALs, and Ex2K3 CALs
- is transferrable to new hardware (with the possible exception of a vendor branded SBS)

So specific to your situation, the transition pack can help you by converting your existing SBS into W2K3 Server such that you would be able to TRANSFER FSMO roles off while leaving the old server in production a little longer to be sure all material was transferred off. This just gives you more flexibility from a planning standpoint. From a cost standpoint, you can transfer the W2K3 server license and CALs to the new server. If you plan on using Exchange Server, you would have the Exchange Server license and CALs which you could use when ready. You'll have to weigh this out from a cost standpoint to see if it makes sense for you.

Hope this helps.
--C

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)