Question

SBS2003 VPN Access

By marcus ·
I have a Windows SBS 2003 network configuration behind a Netgear firewall. I have setup the port forwarding (port 1723) to the small business server.

The VPN connection works FINE as long as i connect to it from a live IP address based connection (ie im not behind a firewall) So my Wireless Mobile connection works fine.

What I want to know how to configure, is for this to work if I am behind a firewall, at a clients for instance. It's also possible that the network / nat i am on at clients could be running the same IP range.

I know there has to be a way to do this, I just am yet to find it.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

SBS2003 VPN Access

by abdi_wae In reply to SBS2003 VPN Access

hi,

the question was a little unclear - like whether the VPN server will give a DHCP IP to client connected?

AFAIK, you will have no problem connecting behind NAT as long as both router/firewall allow the handshake session like allowing UDP 67/68 broadcast for DHCP etc.

but better to create a site-to-site VPN for easier config and maintenance.

cheers.

Collapse -

SBS VPN

by marcus In reply to SBS2003 VPN Access

If i am on a public IP address, the VPN works fine.

I need access to various tools on my own network when I am at client sites, and operating on their networks.

The VPN connects, I can just never see my own network in this situation.

Collapse -

SBS VPN

by abdi_wae In reply to SBS VPN

hi,

OK. just for simplicity - access your remote network with ip addr instead of names, or you can have a remote desktop connection after VPNs established.

cheers.

Collapse -

internet access at the client

by CG IT In reply to SBS2003 VPN Access

the client has to allow PPTP or L2TP to pass through their firewall. If they don't, it won't work

here's the clincher, if you change the clients security settings, which I don't recommend unless they approve it, and their network is breached, well, who's to blame?

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)