General discussion

SCANREG DELL DIMENSMION 2100 WINDOWS ME

By NLane126 ·
THIS IS A REPOST I FORGOT TO SAY I DON'T HAVE A STARTUP DISK AND I HAVE WINDOWS ME THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS I HAVE GOTTEN SO FAR.
Scanreg Dell Dimension 2100 Computer
I have a beautiful Dell Dimension 2100 Computer with Windows ME and I don't have a startup disk, that give me a error message upon start up that the registry is damaged and tell me to run scanreg to restore. Well, when I restart computer it takes me to safe mode. My problem is that when I gets into safe mode I see a gray screen and the words safe mode in the corners and nothing else there is nothing that, I can click on to fix it. So my question is how do I run scanreg if I can't get the computer into safe mode where by I can make the changes. need here I went to Dell site and the information they gave me assumes that you get to safe mode and can make the corrections. It doesn't give other options if you can get to safe mode. Let me know if you can help me, thanks .

Nathan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to SCANREG DELL DIMENSMION 2 ...

Boot to ?Command Prompt Only? (or Safe Mode Command Prompt Only) mode by hitting F8 key or holding CTRL key when computer starts.
From C prompt, run the following command.

Scanreg /restore

and choose the date of your choice. By default, Win ME saves 5 good known registry backup.

If this does not work, you may try System Restore tool from Command Prompt.

Reference:
1. MS kb 221512: http://tinyurl.com/v3p2
2. MS kb 279736: http://tinyurl.com/v3pa

Collapse -

by NLane126 In reply to

Thanks for your response the system still didn't work, I had to go into the setup and change the boot sequence to boot from cdrom, I borrowered a win98 startup disk, then tried to reinstall but it wouldn't work so I reformated the hard drive and got everything working. Thanks again

Collapse -

by NLane126 In reply to SCANREG DELL DIMENSMION 2 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)