General discussion

Scanreg Dell Dimesion 2100 Computer

By NLane126 ·
I have a beautiful Dell Dimesion 2100 Computer that give me a error message upon start up that the registry is damaged and tell me to run scanreg to restore. Well when I restart computer it takes me to safe mode, but my problem is that when I get into safe mode I see a gray screen and the words safe mode in the corners and nothing else there is nothing that, I can click on to fix it so my question is how do I run scanreg if I can't get the computer into safe mode where by I can make the changes. need here I went to Dell site and the information they gave me assumes that you get to safe mode and can make the corrections. It doesn't give other options if you can get to safe mode. Let me know if you can help me, thanks .

Nathan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Scanreg Dell Dimesion 21 ...

you might need help to fix this without reinstalling windows. which is always an option.
you can try a step by step boot. restart your computer and tap the f8 key for minute and eventually boot menu appears. pick step by step. experiment. first say no to everything. watch screen. see if you can get only minimum loaded and get to same place, partial safe mode. when you get there, go to lunch. maybe go to bed for night. if you an see occasional hd activity just give it plenty of time. plenty. maybe it will load.
if not, got to boot from floppy and try manually fixing registry. this is part where you might need help. registry is pair of hidden, read-only, system files (system.dat and user.dat) live in c:\windows older. you will need to try manual registry repair (ugh) or try to find exisiting backups of those files. things like norton's make backup copy when they are installed so you might get lucky. note for future: you have to use attrib command to take off the r h s attributes to manipulate/backup these files. (when you get this working again, backup these files)
so you want a win98 boot floppy. boot with it and from command prompt type:
attrib -r -h -s c:\windows\system.dat
then
attrib -r -h -s c:\windows\user.dat
then
md c:\regback
copy c:\windows\system.dat c:\regback
copy c:\windows\user.dat c:\regback
you just backup up your (bad) registry.
now look for other copies
from command prompt:
dir c:\windows\system.*
look at dates. if it looks right size or close and has fairly recent date, maybe a copy you can live with. since is is backup, has been rename like system.nav
rename old registry files so you can replace them with this copy.
ren c:\windows\system.dat system.bad
ren c:\windows\user.dat user.bat
then
ren c:\windows\system.nav (or whatever) system.dat
ren c:\windows\user.nav user.dat
if you can only find backup of system.dat, try just that.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

remove the boot floppy and reboot. see what happens.
this is easier than reinstalling, really!
don't know if this is kind of thing you are willing to tackle but learning how to backup registry on win9x is pretty big deal to know i think. will get you out of many a future jam. so i hope you will give it a try.
this is all documented in ms knowlegedbase at support.microsoft.com if you have the patience and bandwidth to browse.

Collapse -

by NLane126 In reply to

Thanks for your response the system still didn't work, I had to go into the setup and change the boot sequence to boot from cdrom, I borrowered a win98 startup disk, then tried to reinstall but it wouldn't work so I reformated the hard drive and got everything working. Thanks again

Collapse -

by aquaris In reply to Scanreg Dell Dimesion 21 ...

use a Boot floppy to boot into Dos Mode..
For win98 pressing F8 at startup will show you an option of booting into...dos more..

but for WinMe there is no such option...and you will have to use a Boot floppy..

then from the C prompt just type.

c:>scanreg /fix...

for win 98 it will scan user.dat and system.dat file and restore any corrupt registry with a known...good one..

for winMe it will scan an additional classes.dat file and retore any corrupt one automatically from a back up

which windows create automatically...

hope it helps..

By the way....from within windows98 only...

if you sfc... that is..

START-->>Run and type sfc in the command box..

it also scans for corrupt system files and repairs and restores them as required...

Collapse -

by aquaris In reply to

you can always create a boot floppy if you do not have one...

Control paner..
ADD/Remove Applications then the CREATE boot floppy tab...

insert a fresh formatted floppy in flppy drive...and click the create boot flopy button ..

Collapse -

by NLane126 In reply to

Thanks for your response the system still didn't work, I had to go into the setup and change the boot sequence to boot from cdrom, I borrowered a win98 startup disk, then tried to reinstall but it wouldn't work so I reformated the hard drive and got everything working. Thanks again

Collapse -

by NLane126 In reply to Scanreg Dell Dimesion 21 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)