Windows 2000 Server (Windows SP3)
Exchange 2000 Server (Exchange SP3)
GroupShield 5.2 for Exchange 2000

I am trying to write a batch script that will stop the GroupShield and
Exchange services then allow me to do a eseutil /d <database> and then
restart the services successfully.

I have a basic script setup, but cannot consistently get the GroupShield
service to stop from the batch file. It does a time-out and doesn't
stop the service successfully (and then everythingelse fails as well).

Anyone been able to write a good script to do automated maintenance like
this for Exchange 2000 Server (with GroupShield anti-virus)?

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Scripting Exchange 2000 Defragmentation

by curlergirl In reply to Scripting Exchange 2000 D ...

I know that this does not answer your question, but I can't help but jump in to say that you should NOT be running the eseutil /d process on a regular basis. This is definitely not recommended by Microsoft and, particularly with Exchange 2000 server, the on-line defragmentation done by Exchange as a regular maintenance routine is very efficient and effective. The eseutil /d process is intended to be used only infrequently and only when necessary to regain space within the DB that has not beenregained by the regular on-line defrags. I usually check my Exchange DBs about once every six months to see if they are getting extremely fragmented and I only defrag them manually if the free space after on-line defrag is more than 10% of the total size of the database. This generally only happens at sites where for one reason or another there are a lot of mailboxes being added and deleted over that period of time. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by laj In reply to Scripting Exchange 2000 D ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by azizhakim In reply to Scripting Exchange 2000 D ...

As you know many coprorations employ a consistent IS defrag to Keep a healthy database and to recover disk space after mailbox deletions.I have a batch file that I use but but since i am not in Production enviroment it is tested and functional.I would like to iterate that I do not have any anti-virus software installed,But the theory will be the same.Just as you would stop IS and MTA to start the defrag,prior to stopping the store & mta,stop your virus software exe. Exchange2000 has up to fourstores and five databases.you Locate the individual databases through registery or through the property of your database.By Default Exch2000 is installed in c:\Program files\exchsrvr.Change to your working directory,locate your edb,stm files and runyour defrag.You will need to defrag every mailbox and public database independently.I have left echo on to display progress.In your case you could create another store with necessary Db,document the db and run the defrag on this edb and test progress and diagnose any error.Here im my batch & I hope it helped.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
@echo
net stop "YOUR ANTI-VIRUS EXE"
net stop msexchangeis /y
net stop msexchangemta /y
cd "C:\program files\exchsrvr\bin"
eseutil /d "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"
Net start "YOUR ANTI-VIRUS EXE"
net start msexchangeis
net start msexchangemta
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)