General discussion

Search in XP vs Windows 2000 search

By RJette ·
The search in Windows XP will not search for TXT in a WordPerct file but the search in Windows 2000 will. Is there any way to either make XP search WP files or copy the search from 2000 to XP?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ctrservices In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

When you went into Search--Documents--Use advanced search options--is "Search subfolders" checked?

Collapse -

by Winterfrost In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

You can easily set XP to use "Windows 2000"-style search in the registry.

See: http://www.techbytes.ca/techbyte27.html

Why they would replace a simple search field with a ridiculous, crippled-by-default wizard and animated dog is beyond me...

Collapse -

by RJette In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

The subfolder is checked off.

I also changed the registry and that changed the search to feel more like the Win 2000 ver. but it still will not find text in WP files.

Collapse -

by Winterfrost In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

Ah, you're absolutely correct. This is a "performance improvement" in XP (ahem). The 2000 search defaults to reading all files in regular text format, which provides enough information to search the contents of a WordPerfect file. XP is "so smart" that it will only search files for which it has an associated application installed by default.

There are a couple of workarounds in this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=30**73

Collapse -

by MasterTech In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

You cav search fir text within a file by clicking on start, choose search, and then choosing "For Files or folders". Then choose that you wish to search for documents. In the resulting window, choose "Use advanced search options". It is here where I am able to search for words or phrases within the documents on my system or mapped via a network share.

Collapse -

by MasterTech In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

You cav search for text within a file by clicking on start, choose search, and then choosing "For Files or folders". Then choose that you wish to search for documents. In the resulting window, choose "Use advanced search options". It is here where I am able to search for words or phrases within the documents on my system or mapped via a network share.

Collapse -

by Deacon Blues In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

We run both Word and WP but I have never
been able to solve this problem either. Your best bet is to put a shortcut to the WP Quick Finder Searcher on the desktop.You cna find it under Utilities in WP12.

Collapse -

by Deacon Blues In reply to Search in XP vs Windows 2 ...

We run both Word and WP but I have never
been able to solve this problem either. Your best bet is to put a shortcut to the WP Quick Finder Searcher on the desktop.You can find it under Utilities in WP12.

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums