General discussion

Securing a split Access 2000 Database

By matthew ·
Hi All!

This is the first question I have posted so please be gentle with me!!

I am currently invloved with developing a Access 2000 database to be used by 15 users on a netware 4.11 client server LAN.

I had secured the database prior to splitting it and everything was fine. I then split the database using the wizard and found that the group permissions no longer worked. i.e. we have a group called SALES, prior to splitting thier permissions worked fine, after splitting thier forms were displaying 'grayed out', if I logged on as admin then thier forms were fine.

Please help and thaks in advance.

Matthew Williams

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Securing a split Access 2 ...

I found lots of on-line Help after entering "database security" in the Answer Wizard's What would you like to do box. Obviously the answer is quite different depending on the level and type os seccurity you are defining from a simple3 Database Password to using the User-Level Security Wizard.

Don't forget each PC MUST have it's own Workgroup File - AND be operating within that environment for everything to work as it did before the file was split???

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by matthew In reply to Securing a split Access 2 ...

Hi!

Many thanks for the answer.

At the moment I have one workgroup file on our server so I'll try it.

Collapse -

by Glen_McLeod In reply to Securing a split Access 2 ...

Actually, Don, the easiest thing to do is have 1 workgroup file on a server somewhere and have all the local applications point to it. This makes it MUCH easier to add and remove users, as you only have to do it once.

What I usually do is set upa shortcut on the desktop for the Access application with the /wrkgrp switch pointing to the workgroup file on the network somewhere.

Glen

Collapse -

by matthew In reply to Securing a split Access 2 ...

It seems perhaps I was right first time.

Can anybody else help?

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)