General discussion

Server 2000 can't talk outside local net

By jonhunt2 ·
I administer a Windows 2000 server with about 15 users. The server cannot communicate outside the local network (no Internet access). I have verified the default gateway and DNS settings. I have also changed these and changed them back with no effect. The client workstations have the same settings and can access the Internet without any problem. From the server I can ping local machines, the default gateway and the T1 "router" on the public side of the gateway, but nothing else. Cannot ping the DNS servers. The server used to be able access the Internet. It may have lost access when I installed Terminal Server, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? I need to get this working and I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks,
Jon

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ctmoore1998 In reply to Server 2000 can't talk ou ...

Normally a 2000 server is configured with the DNS service, then all workstations/svrs use the 2000 for DNS as its service is configure with forwarders to handle 'non local' resolutions. If your DNS on the 2000 server is properly configured try a tracert www.yahoo.com from a command prompt to see if it resolves okay.

Collapse -

by jonhunt2 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Server 2000 can't talk ou ...

this sounds like that one where dns server is not pointing to itself for dns...i think if you look up your symptoms at support.microsoft.com mskb you will find the instructions...

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

wow. can't ping anything on internet...sounds like firewall if not dns
by any chance have you removed zonealarm or another firewall product in attempt to tshoot this? if yes try reinstalling it...

Collapse -

by jonhunt2 In reply to

Collapse -

by razz2 In reply to Server 2000 can't talk ou ...

I would check all the basics.

Is this an AD controller by the way? If so is DNS on the server?

Check that DNS is correct if it is setup on the server. (even
though the ping is an ip address and needs no resolution). Flush
the cache and check for any host files or ip filters. Try a tracert
and see where you sre going and stopping. Disable any software
firewall and examine any firewall logs too.

Good Luck,

razz

Collapse -

by jonhunt2 In reply to

Collapse -

by jonhunt2 In reply to Server 2000 can't talk ou ...

Thanks for all the quick responses! Yes this is the Domain Controller (only one server in this network). I believe DNS is setup on this server. Workstations get their DHCP info from the Netscreen firewall/gateway. First DNS address points to the server, second to the firewall, third to ISP public. If I set the server to obtain an address automatically (but leave DNS static on the server), then the server can access the Internet just fine. When I change back to static IP, I'm back to local subnet only. Would WINS have anything to do with this? Still, I'll check DNS setup on the server and make sure it's functioning ok. Occassionally when adding new workstations, they cannot find a domain controller.

Thanks again.
Jon

Collapse -

by razz2 In reply to Server 2000 can't talk ou ...

A couple notes to add here:

The DHCP should be on the server not the firewall. And a server SHOULD NEVER BE DYNAMIC except for your testing.

What is your internal domain name and ext? Are you using a .local or a .com internally? It should NOT be a .com or the like.

How are the DNS address' setup on the server? Did you use the real ip or a 127.0.0.1? The server should be pointing at it's address.

Is DNS setup as a root, is there a "." zone? The the DNS server should have root hints and forwarders. It should not have a "root" zone.

DNS on the server is set incorrect I would bet. If some new stations can't find the SRV records for logon then that is the issue. Well, I should ask, are the workstations XP/2000 or 9x clients? If XP/2000 they look for the Domain Controller in DNS. 9x clients would use WINS. The fact that the server as static looses access but dynamic has access is your clue. Something it is getting from DHCP is different. Try this, Set the server static. You said it will fail. Now, make the primary DNS the isp address and see what happens.

Good Luck,

razz

Collapse -

by jonhunt2 In reply to

Great direction. I'll use this in setting up future servers. Thanks.

Back to Windows Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Related Forums