Question

server 2000 password recovery

By jepp5166 ·
I have a server with windows server 2000 on it. I recently purchased this machine and the guy I bought off gave me the admin password. the only problem I can tell is that the server is not on their domain and the admin password doesn't work I assume because of this. My question is, is there a way to log onto the server using the local admin and if I can is there a way to recover the local admin password. I want to keep the OS intact, so I don't want to reinstall the OS. Much help is needed so all responses are welcome.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

It is best to re-install the OS

by The Scummy One In reply to server 2000 password reco ...

you never know what might be on it that you do not want.

We will not help you to crack the PW here, so if you need it removed, take it to a shop.

You can also go back to the 'guy' that you bought it from and ask him for it.
If it is on a volume license for the company, you will need to obtain a new license. If you got it from a 'shady' source, then you are probably SOL, and it should teach you a lesson.

Collapse -

Ring Microsoft for help as they are the proper ones to contact

by OH Smeg In reply to server 2000 password reco ...

They wrote the application so they know how to fix it.

PS I also recommend performing a Clean Install after wiping the system. It is the only sure way to know that there is nothing loaded which can cause your data to be stolen or numerous other things that can & do happen.

If you are intending using this in a Lab Environment you need to remember that as it has been previously connected to a Domain you may be unable of find it extremely difficult to get a reliable LAN setup.

Col

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)