General discussion

server 2003

By chosen ·
i have 11 server 2003 computers in a lab environment all on the same network...while we can all ping each other using the ip address, i cannot connect to any of the boxes remotely from any other...after selecting a server from the browse list and trying to open it, the log on window pops up asking for the logon...the username/password for all of the boxes is the same but access/log on is denied...what should we do...thanks...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by razz2 In reply to server 2003

"a lab environment all on the same network"

I assume you mean on the same ip network. Are they domain
controllers? Are they in the same domian or forest?

If they are DC's in seperate domains/forests then you would
need trusts.

I don't have enough info though. Are there any errors in event
logs on the server that is denying the logon?

razz

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to server 2003

the security properties in the local security policy on each server needs to have all other servers listed in the "access from the network" policy. The local security policy for each member server is preventing others on the network access. even if you share a folder, assign permissions to users, users are all the same accounts on every server.

Windows 2003 server has enhanced security parameters that Windows 2000 server does not. Remote access is one such policy. Like Windows 2000 server, Windows 2003 server does have remote administration mode for remotely accessing the server via UNC \\<server name\user. However the servers have to be operating in remote admin roles. The other alternative is remote assistance. In the system properties\remote properties page, you can turn on remote desktop. this is off by default.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

it would be advantageous to move to a domain environment in lieu of a peer to peer environment when using Windows 2003 server or go with Linux/Suse servers.

Hate to say this but Windows 2003 server just isn't designed to operate in a peer to peer environment e.g. having a large server farm of individual, disjointed servers. Linux/Suse/Unix are more compatible in a server farm environment. Windows 2003 is really a domain O/S.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)