Question

Server 2003 Cluster applications/updates

By TwinkyNZ ·
Hi all,

I'm new to clustering would greatly appreciate some help on the following.
Quick scenario. Active/Passive cluster of ServerA (Active), ServerB with virtual node of Server01.

1) If I were to install an application in my cluster, do I have it install it on both the Active and passive node or will Cluster Administrator complete this for me?

2) In reference to your answer from question 1, does the same apply for windows update and R2 install?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sam

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

If the application is cluster aware, it will install as a virtual server

by ManiacMan In reply to Server 2003 Cluster appli ...

that will be located in a cluster resource group that will be able to migrate between the active and passive node. If you're looking to cluster SQL Server for instance, you'll need the enterprise edition, as standard is not cluster aware. Also, you'll need Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition anyway to setup a Windows cluster. The same thing applies to Exchange 2003, as you'll need the enterprise edition of Exchange 2003 to cluster it. If you're looking to cluster some custom application, the application will need to run exclusively from the shared disk resource that makes the virtual server, or else it's not really clustered. What a virtual resource is really is a disk on a shared storage subsystem that has a Netbios name and IP address bound to it so it looks like an SMB server in a Windows network. When that virtual server fires up on a node, the hosting node takes ownership of the disk and a secondary IP address is bound to the node for that virtual server while DNS and Netbios take care of name resolution. It's not that complicated to grasp if you think of clustered resources as virtual disks that advertise themselves as servers and can float around the cluster between nodes.

Any service packs for the OS must be installed on every cluster node, as you don't want to have cluster nodes with mismatched versions of files. For service packs affecting the cluster resources, they only have be applied once, such as an SQL service pack for the SQL virtual server.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)