Question

• Creator
    Topic

Server 2003 DHCP within a router

by crcook84 ·

I am attempting to get more in tune with how Server 2003 works. I got a copy and installed it on a computer and have managed to figure out how to share files based on group permissions (which wasn’t all that difficult). Now, I’m trying something else.

I would like to setup Server 2003 to work in conjunction with a router. (Note: This is a home project.) The router uses addresses between 192.168.1.64-254. That leaves 192.168.1.2-60 for me to mess with. I’ve added “DHCP Server” to server roles. I’ve added a scope and set it up for the ip range. I discovered that the server has to have a static address at the port that will be handing out ip addresses. I got the server handing out ip addresses to several computers.

At this point, my main issue is internet access. Here’s a condensed version: computer=>server 2003 computer=>router=>internet. I want to be able to give the computers behind the server 2003 computer access to the internet. However, I want to do it through the router. Aside from wanting to utilize the firewall, it’s an AT&T router, which means it’s required for U-verse.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by crcook84 ·

In reply to Server 2003 DHCP within a router

Clarifications

Set Router and DNS Options in DHCP snap-in

by gechurch ·

In reply to Server 2003 DHCP within a router

Are you trying to get Internet traffic flowing through the server then out through the router, or do you simply want machines that get an IP address from the server to have Internet access?

You want to avoid having two different DHCP servers on your network. The normal way of doing this is to disable the DHCP server role on the router. Now open the DHCP snap-in on the server. Right-click ‘Scope Options’ for the scope you have defined, and click ‘Configure Options’. Tick ‘Router’ and add the IP address of your router. Also tick ‘DNS Servers’. Add the IP of the server if you’re using it for DNS, otherwise enter the IP of your router (or a public DNS server like 8.8.8.8 if you prefer). Click OK and refresh the IPs on your client PCs. They will now be given the routers IP as their default gateway, and whichever DNS server(s) you chose.

Viewing 1 reply thread