General discussion

Server 2003 Disconnected Network Drive

By ctmoore1998 ·
I have a Server in which 2 of 5 mapped shares are shown as "Disconnected Network Drive" If you double click on the share you can access the data. If you right mouse and choose 'disconnect' You get the error msg 'Network connection could not be found' If you go to a cmd prompt and do a net use the 2 disconnected shares are not listed if you try either a net use F: /d /y you get a network connection could not be found a net use * /d /y successfully disconnects the other 3 shares. If you then try a net use F: \server\share you get the error msg 'local device name already in use' Have search MS and internet for a solution can anyone help me clear the disconnected network drives???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

37 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

If the share is unmapped and then remapped is the issue corrected?

Collapse -

by ctmoore1998 In reply to

Please read Question completely. Also see comment. What I am trying to do is correct / fix the network drive F: and G: both drives show up as disconnected. Shares accessible but cannot really disconnect or delete mapping. NET USE F: /D returns network connection not found as I said in question

Collapse -

by ctmoore1998 In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

You can't unmap the share. the share F: won't go away. As I said if you try to disconnect you get a 'network connection could not be found' error You can map share as another drive letter but I am trying to fix/remove/ remap the F: and G: drives

Collapse -

I also notice that if I go into the tools and attempt to map a drive and pull down the drive list that F: and G: do not show up as drive letter options . I compared this to another 2003 server and these drives show up. Could the server somehow have F: and G: tagged as local drives???? First avail drive letter (other than B) is H:

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

you are really not giving us much to go on. if you did search ms, what did you think of the articles and solutions you found there? we could guess and guess what might work for you. how about if you tell us what you have tried.
i think you are onto something with the local drives theory. did you have some usb or firewire drives on the server before.
if me, i might plug in a drive, see what letter it picks up.
this seems to be a bug in windows 2003. you might consider contacting ms about this directly.
i do not believe you posted what sp level you are on? i think i did read your post and comments in entirety...

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

It is 2003 server base sp 1 not installed as some software vendors will not give the go ahead on SP1 installation. I have tried all the things that I mentioned in the question. As well as putting comments and pauses in the logon script to verify that the correct script is running and not a cached script somewhere. I have searched the registry for network drive lists and avail drive lists and have not been able to find either in the registry. Does anyone know where windows keeps the network drive information???

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

Hi

I think sgt shultz may be correct. I have experienced a similar issue with a laptop. A user had connected a usb device to it and then was unable to do anything with a mapped drive. Rebooting the laptop solved the problem as it reset the machine. Have you tried rebooting?

Good luck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

What service packs and hot fixes are on this server?

Is this Small Business Server?

Back to Windows Forum
37 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next