General discussion

Server 2003 Insight

By MMerchant ·
Hello, I was just wondering if you guys could help me out as far as Windows Server 2003 is considered. I was wondering if there was a certain book that you guys liked that had some good reading on Windows Server 2003. The things I would like to learn are;

1. How to setup Active directory
2. How to setup DNS for active directory
3. How to secure/"lockdown" Server 2003

I have been to Microsoft Server 2003 info page where they have the "How to..." papers, but I found them to be quite lacking.

I tried setting up DNS for Active Directory as well as Active Directory through their paper and it didn't work.

Any book recomendations would be great.

Thanks

M. Merchant

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Server 2003 Insight

Just about any MCSA/MCSE self paced study book will do the trick. I like Network Professional Library's Windows 2000 Active Directory by Joe Casad. reads well.

Windows Server 2003 installation with DNS and AD is pretty automated via the wizards and there isn't that much difference between W2K and W2003 in how they operate. the GUI is laid out different but the basic operation is still the same. Lockdown in W2003 Server is really Internet Explorer lockdown with deny everything unless specifically allowed. To secure a W2003 server, apply all security patches and use a firewall, require strong authentication, password complexity, and shorten password age. rename the admin account, require CTL+ALT+DEL to log in, enable do not show last user name in log on box, disable the guest account, just your basic securty crap on always has done.

Collapse -

by MMerchant In reply to

Thank you. As far as the MCSA/MCSE self paced study book, is there a specifc one you would reccomend. The one puclished by Microsoft or another company. e.mail me @ mmerchantNOSPAM@gmailNOSPAM.com just remove the nospam.

Collapse -

by ewgny In reply to Server 2003 Insight

I recommend
Mastering Windows Server 2003
by Mark Minasi
http://www.minasi.com

Collapse -

by MMerchant In reply to

Thank you.

Collapse -

by MMerchant In reply to Server 2003 Insight

This question was closed by the author