General discussion

Server 2003 installation

By lindsay_e_miller ·
I bought a brand new HP Pavilion 1560 this week and my boss wants me to install Server 2003 on it. It currently has an XP OS loaded. I understand that I can't just overwrite XP with the 2003 installation, however I've tried to uninstall the OS and I've had no luck with that. It tells me I'm missing some registration information. I tried to just do a format of the C drive and I get a message telling me I don't have authority to do that. This has not been put on the network and has not been given any passwords, but I'm not sure what I need to do to get Server 2003 loaded onto this system. Any ideas??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by NZ_Justice In reply to Server 2003 installation

create a boot disk

http://www.bootdisk.com/

then use fdisk

do not format Drive after fdisk just use your win2k3 bootdisk and u should be sweet.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Server 2003 installation

Well according to HP there is a Hidden Partition on the HDD with a lot of install data on there you'll have to make a Boot CD and boot from that and include something to wipe the HDD with before applying 2003.

But you'll also need to up the RAM considerably to the MAX that can be carried on the M'Board and up the speed of the CPU to get 2003 to run part way well. This unit was never designed to run a server application so lacks the most basic things that a Real Server should have and while the OS will run it Will Not work even close to its abilities and you or in this case your boss will be sadly misplaced in the belief that 2003 Server is going to work well on this system. More importantly if left in it;s original configuration you'll constantly be working on it and it's going to be costing the company money in a lot of Down Time and Slow Responses.

It's better to go with a unit that was designed to run a Server Application and more importantly you need to remind your boss that all Computers Are Not Created Equally this one was designed mainly to run a copy of Media Centre and for that it will work well but it will fail miserably as a Medium to High End Server as it was never designed to do the necessary number crunching or have the necessary redundancy.

Col

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Server 2003 installation

I'll ditto what Hal said, this will make a terrible server if it even installs. MS says this is it's minimum requirements:
http://tinyurl.com/qc2mh
but I don't believe it, they are notorious for saying minimum requirements, the try to do anything and FLOP.

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Server 2003 installation

I have to third what Hal9000 and pierrejamme said.

If you need some arguments for your boss, here's my take on it: There's a reason that piece of equipment is sold with Windows Media Center software loaded on it instead of Windows 2003 server. That's because it's configured to optimize that operating system and the things that operating system is used for. Personally, I wouldn't even recommend ANY HP Pavilion system for a business environment - I am an HP reseller and I like a lot of their equipment, but the Pavilion line is designed specifically for the home user market and doesn't hold up well in a business environment at all, much less as a server. Even if you got the software to load, which is questionable, the likelihood is that you wouldn't be able to find drivers for all that multimedia type hardware for Windows 2003, so you'd have to replace the video card, probably the CD player and possibly even put in an add-on hard drive controller to boot.

What's the point of trying to shoe-horn this thing together?

I say, take the thing back to where you bought it and get a real server - you can get a low end Dell or HP server for about the same amount of money, or even less:

http://tinyurl.com/ncbwy

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by pcxotto In reply to Server 2003 installation

I don't understand what you mean by can't overwrite XP. Assuming fresh install, not upgrade. I have done this on several pc's that started w/ win xp media or xp pro that had proprietary setup (HD partitioned c: w/ d: drive install info). Booting from server cd, in setup just delete all hard drives & partitions, create new partition, format and load. I'm currently running small network, server is pc w/ amd 3000+ (1.8 Ghz) cpu, 512 mb ram and 4 hd; 1 cd 1 dvd/cdrw; Win Server 2003 Standard w/ no problems. Size of network & server load will greatly determine capablility.
Also you may be able to put HD in another ntfs pc as slave and try to format drive.
I may be misunderstanding something & / or HP may have some new restrictive proprietary policy.
HOWEVER:
I am NOT disputing other answers i.e. more ram etc. and everything depends on what the server is to be used for.
Let us know results or outcome
Goodluck

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)