General discussion

Server 2003 Inter-Forest AD Migration

By nolipineda ·
Hi All,

Does anybody here experienced migrating users and groups from Server 2003 Active Directory to another Server 2003 Active Directory in a separate forest? I keep on searching Technet and KB to no avail. I found 2000 to 2003 AD Migration via ADMT 2.0, is this what I am looking for? Does this apply to 2003 to 2003 as well?

Thank you in advance.
Noli

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Advice

by BFilmFan In reply to Server 2003 Inter-Forest ...

This is an excellent case study:

http://www.washington.edu/computing/support/windows/UWdomains/migrateOut.html

And you would use the ADMT 2.0 or another vendor's tool to perform that migration.

Collapse -

I too need this answer

by jonfwiener In reply to Server 2003 Inter-Forest ...

If you either did this or got a good response, i'd like to know how it went and how you did it. Specifically, what were teh migration steps you took? Would you still have the step by step doc?
Thanks,
JON

Collapse -

Did you get any answere

by abhi_depth1 In reply to I too need this answer

Hi,

M also looking for the solution for the same issue. Did you get any answere for this. please let me know the same

Collapse -

Server 2003 Inter-Forest AD Migration

by adam In reply to Server 2003 Inter-Forest ...

I am getting ready for my next MCP 70-284 Exchange, so I have studied ADMT v1 and v2 carefully.

Yes, ADMT v2 supports W2003 and W2000 interforest and intraforest migration, both ways W2000 to W2003 and vice versa.

It will migrate the User Password and SID (e.g. permissions, Group memberships, etc).

SID is short for Security Identifier. A SID is a unique ID string (e.g., S-1-5-21-1454471165-1004336348-1606980848-5555) that is assigned to each account created in a domain or on a local computer.

SID is how the operating system keeps track of accounts. For example, you can rename the Administrator account on a computer and still use that account to function as an administrator because Windows knows this account is the Administrator account because the SID remains the same regardless of the account name.

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)