General discussion

Server 2003 Media Streaming

By jdroba ·
I am running a small server running Server 2003 on it in order to take advantage of the media streaming and publishing points capabilites on it. To date I am able to add my media, create a publishing point, and create the media announcement for the content. However, wwhen I go to test it by opening the URL in Windows Media Player 9.0 that is provided from the publishing point announcement, I am unable to locate or play the content. I am creating a .ASX format whcih is upported by Media Player but no luck. I am wondering if anyone out there has ANY experince with this technology since I am obviously doing SOMETHING wrong here!

Thanks!
Joel

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Server 2003 Media Streami ...

There's a ton of step by step white papers and information for streaming and on demand video on the Windows Media web site under Tools & Technologies. Best place to go to get information.

What comes to mind is for your problem is enabling the file extensions for playback. Not all file extensions are enabled in IIS and Windows Media Player.

Another is instead of using the .asx format, use the Windows Media Encoder.

Anther note, the media server itself allows you to test your media and publishing points. Did you test them from the Media Server instead of trying to use a URL designation in Windows Media Player.

Another question is, Are you setting up your publishing points for streaming via HTTP? Microsoft doesn't recommend streaming via HTTP because of conflicts with port bindings with IIS.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)