General discussion

Server 2003 permissionless share?

By Starscream ·
I want to be able to create a network shared directory on MS Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. However, I would like this share to have absolutely no permissions at all. For example I do not want connecting computers to need to be part of the domain or need to enter a username and password to write and read from the share. I know this is very insecure but it is not being used in any sort of critical situation. I want to replace a windows 98 machine that has been used for years as a simple file server with server 2003 to make use of mirroring but I can't figure out how to create a share that does not need to be logged onto. Is this even possible? If this is not possible can I set up a share to allow users logged onto windows XP standalone machines (not domain connected)with user accounts without passwords. I guess mapped drives could be used but as the server will not be the most stable in the world I don't wan't shares to dissappear should the server fail to boot. Is there a batch file that could setup shares and if the share is not available just simply forget about it rather than ask for user input?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)