Question

Server 2008 VB Scripts/Group Policy Help

By howard_davis ·
I am using new MS Server 2008, all comps are Win XP. This is a school, trying to lock desktop. Trust me I have tried everything under group policy, but dang thing won't work (I even have new book with instructions). Anyways, I just want a darn script to lock desktop with certain pic, and to deploy multiple printers. Printers are established already and viewable through directory. Please help, I have no idea why GP will not work, I just want to do a fast deploy with a script.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Re: Server 2008 VB Scripts/Group Policy Help

You can try these out. :)

You can use WinExit to secure inactive workstations. This screen saver program ships in Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Resource Kit. WinExit consists of one file, winexit.scr, which you can find in the resource kit directory:

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

WinExit Options
Right-click winexit.scr and you'll see the options Install, Test, and Configure. Select Install. A Display Properties dialog box will appear. The Display Properties dialog box shows the Screen Saver tab from the standard Control Panel Display applet; the Screen Saver dropdown menu will have the Logoff Screen Saver option selected.

You can change the value in the Wait spin box to select how long you want your network's computers to wait from the time users become inactive until WinExit starts the logoff process. The default Wait value is 15 minutes.

After the Wait period expires, WinExit starts. The utility displays an Auto Logoff in progress dialog box that warns users that WinExit is going to log them off. Users can click Cancel or press any key to stop the logoff process. The dialog box counts down for a period of time (30 seconds by default). When the period expires, WinExit logs off the user.

To change the length of time the Auto Logoff in progress dialog box counts down, click Settings on the Screen Saver tab. You can configure three settings in the WinExit Setup Dialog box that appears: Force logoff, Time to logoff, and Logoff Message. You configure the logoff countdown period in the Time to logoff section's Countdown text box. The text box's value is the length of the logoff countdown in seconds. WinExit accepts values from 0 to 999. If you set the value to 0, the computer will wait for the period you specify in the Wait spin box, then log off users without giving them a chance to avert the logoff.

The Logoff Message text box lets you customize the Auto Logoff in progress dialog box. Double-click the WinExit icon to see the Auto Logoff in progress dialog box; the message you enter in the Logoff Message text box replaces the default message Use Setup to change the text in this line. You can leave the Logoff Message text box empty or enter a message such as The network is going to log you off because your machine is inactive or To maximize network throughput, the network automatically logs off inactive sessions.

The WinExit Setup Dialog box's Force application termination check box lets WinExit terminate users' applications without saving their data. When users log off NT workstations, they receive messages from applications that have open, unsaved files. These dialog boxes question whether users want to save unsaved data. The default WinExit logoff process waits for users to respond to applications' dialog boxes before logging the users off. However, users who aren't at their desk can't choose to save or reject changes to documents.

If you don't select the Force application termination check box, WinExit won't log off users who have unsaved data. If you select the check box, WinExit won't wait for users to respond to applications' logoff dialog boxes, and users will lose unsaved data. Whether you need to select the Force application termination check box depends on your company's policies and whether all your users diligently run their software's automatic save options.

Regardless of whether you choose to terminate programs that have unsaved data, you can use WinExit to make your network more secure. Make WinExit your next system policy.
Now it depends on you how you configure ur Group Policy using the Winexit.scr.

1. Create an OU.
2. Create a Group Policy for this OU.
3. Add all the users to this OU.
4. Configure the Group Policy using this OU and the process the Winexit.scr from Login script or Run the following applications.
5. Restart ur client computers to recieve new settings with this screen saver.

Log off scripts:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198642

Assign user logoff scripts

1. Open Group Policy Object Editor.
2. In the console tree, click Scripts (Logon/Logoff).
Where?
* Group Policy object/User Configuration/Windows Settings/Scripts (Logon/Logoff)
3. In the details pane, double-click Logoff.
4. In the Logoff Properties dialog box, click Add.
5. In the Add a Script dialog box, do the following:
* In Script Name, type the path to the script, or click Browse to search for the script file in the Netlogon shared folder on the domain controller.
* In Script Parameters, type any parameters that you want, the same way as you would type them on the command line. For example, if your script includes parameters called //logo (display banner) and //I (interactive mode), type //logo //I.
6. In the Logoff Properties dialog box, specify the options the you want as follows:
* Logoff Scripts for Group Policy object--Lists all the scripts that are currently assigned to the selected Group Policy object. If you assign multiple scripts, the scripts are processed in the order that you specify. To move a script up in the list, click it, and then click Up. To move a script down in the list, click it, and then click Down.
* Add--Opens the Add a Script dialog box, where you can specify any additional scripts to use.
* Edit--Opens the Edit Script dialog box, where you can modify script information, such as name and parameters.
* Remove--Removes the selected script from the Logoff Scripts list.
* Show Files--Displays the script files that are stored in the selected Group Policy object.

Notes

* To complete this procedure, you must be logged on as a member of the Domain Administrators security group, the Enterprise Administrators security group, or the Group Policy Creator Owners security group.
* To open Group Policy Object Editor, see Related Topics.
* Logoff scripts are run as User, not Administrator, and their rights are limited accordingly.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781354.aspx

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)