General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

servers that support 10000 clients

by jawj909 ·

i’m a student and i would like to know if anyone could help me by pointing me in the right direction, i’m looking for a server{s} that support 10000 clients

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to servers that support 10000 clients

Here are a cpuple:

MCIS 2.0 News Server is the powerful, full-function news server for commercial news sites and online communities. MCIS 2.0 News supports thousands of users in a single-server configuration

Features at a Glance:

http://www.microsoft.com/germany/backoffice/download/MCIS20Features.doc

DCForum has successfully served tens of thousands of clients whose platforms include UNIX, Linux, Windows NT, and Windows 2000. Following are the basic requirements:

http://www.dcscripts.com/dcforum_require.shtml

(REMOVE SPACES from the pasted URLs.)

Maxwell

by jose mir ·

I have interpreted the question more to a hardware issue than a software one.
      Answer 1 is focused in the Microsoft News Server (discussions forums and news feeds) and the DCForum Conferencing Software (discussion). But if the original question is about software then more details must be informed; at least what kind of server software is intended to deploy (web pages, e-mail, discussions, etc).
      If the question is about server hardware for a corporate LAN/MAN, you should consider, also, the platform, but in few words I think you should start looking at IBM, HP-Compaq and SUN. Depending on the configuration (single or multiple server, clustering, distributed applications, etc.) you should look for micro servers (below $ 100 thousands), mid-range servers (from $ 100 thousands to 1 million), and mainframe servers (around $ 1 million and above).
      In the IBM world, pSeries Servers has three different families (entry, mid-range and high-end), and almost all of it includes 1 to 6 64 bits processors (up to 32 in the high-end segment). The zSeries cover a higher segment (and have a higher cost). You can always go to the S/390 architecture if you think you need more. HP-Compaq offers the Superdome line, which offers from 1 to 64 64 bits processors; and the Himalaya for non-stop computing. I recommend to you to visit this company’s web-sites, you could obtain useful info and download specific documentation.
      But, be careful, accommodate 10 thousand users is not a challenge only for the server (or, to be more realistic multiple servers) , but for the network topology also. The wrong topology could transform your enterprise LAN/MAN into a black hole and will transform many millions of dollars in IT infrastructure into useless boxes.

Regards,

Jose P. Mir
      jpm@jpmir.net

by jawj909 ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads