General discussion

service in exchange 2000 wont start

By rngara ·
Am runnin Exchage 2000, on Advanced server 2000 sp 4, when i start my server the microsoft exchange system attendant service, does not start even though it is set to automatic, and it still doesnt start if i try to start it manually, it comes up with the following "the service did not start and did not give any error, check your windows installation"

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rngara In reply to service in exchange 2000 ...

the actual error messege is "Could not start the microsoft exchange system attendant service on local machine. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error"

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to service in exchange 2000 ...

Hi

I am not familiar with either Advanced Server or Exchange. But, I would first check the dependencies tab to make sure that services which Attendant Services requires are actually starting.

Also, have you tried checking your installation? Have you run the System File Checker to make sure that there are no corrupt/missing files?

Collapse -

where do i find System File Checker, my dependancies are all running fine. have also noticed that in event viewer it says access denied attempting to launch a dcom server

Collapse -

where do i find System File Checker, my dependancies are all running fine. have also noticed that in event viewer it says access denied attempting to launch a dcom server

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to service in exchange 2000 ...

System File Checker can be reached by clicking on the Start button and then in the Run Command Line type SFC followed by enter and you'll need your install/recovery Cd handy to recover any changed files.

If you run this you'll remove every Patch & service Pack that you've applied to the system since it was originally loaded as it will return the system to As New Status as far as the Windows load goes anyway.

Col

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to service in exchange 2000 ...

For exchange to work you need to check:
1. TCPIP settings. Does server have a static IP address, netmask, router, DNS configured? Use netdiag to test network connectivity.
2. Is Exchange server connected to Windows domain and can login to one? Use DCdiag to test your domain controller.
3. Are Exchange services configured for Local System account?

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to service in exchange 2000 ...

No answer yet, just a couple of questions:

Are the other Exchange services starting?

Is the Netlogon service starting on this computer?

Can this server successfully contact a global catalog server?

Is this server a member of the Exchange Domain Computers group?

Do you see an error message in the Event Viewer when you try to start the service manually? If so, what is it?

There are a number of other things we might need to check, but this is a start.

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)