General discussion

Service pack 40 bit or 128 bit encryptio

By mwc ·
Service pack 40 bit or 128 bit?
How can I tell if my SP5 on NT server is 40 bit or 128 bit? I know its SP5.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by msgtray In reply to Service pack 40 bit or 12 ...

Start your browser. Select HELP, then ABOUT. The information screen will specify the version of IE and the level of encryption.

Ray

Collapse -

by mwc In reply to Service pack 40 bit or 12 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by msgtray In reply to Service pack 40 bit or 12 ...

The browser IS related to the OS encryption! Does ANYBODY remember Microsoft's AntiTrust arguement that the browser was an integral part of the OS? Show me an installation where the OS and IE have a different encryption level, because I've never seen one.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to Service pack 40 bit or 12 ...

Actually the previous poster is confused I think. What he suggests is talking about your Internet browser encryption level which is unrelated to your OS encryption level.

I don't know of any way of determining your NTs encryption level through any feature of the OS.

However, when you first but an NT 4 machine. During the blue screen process with the white lettering where it tells you number of procecessors, RAM and the build version - it will indicate the encryption level as well.

Minesays 128 bit encryption at the time when I boot. I believe if you have 40bit encryption it doesn't mention it at all. So basically its only if you have 128 bit that you'll see any encryption rating at all.

Hope this helps.

later.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Service pack 40 bit or 12 ...

I believe all copies of NT server sold within the US have 128-bit encryption. However, service packs have been generally delivered with 40-bit encryption unless you have specifically downloaded (or requested through TechNet) delivery of 128-bit copies. Since 128-bit encryption copies could not be exported in the past, this was a problem for MS. If you have your service pack CD and it does not have the phrase "128-bit encryption" printed on it, it is a 40-bit version. I believe after SP4 or 5, the restriction was lifted or eased up a bit and now all versions of SPs are 128-bit, at least all versions delivered within the US. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Help! I'm receiving responses and I'm being notified, but when I browse out here I can only see the first reply! It says there are three! The other two probably have the answer I need.

Collapse -

by dcAdmin In reply to Service pack 40 bit or 12 ...

The following is located on Microsoft's technet webpage at address:

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/maintain/qktips.asp

Security Levels - 128 or 40 bit?

To ensure that your network is safe, you need to know which version of Windows NT encryption is running on your systems?40 bit or 128 bit. While128 bit is the new standard for our part of the world, it's illegal to ship 128-bit software outside North America.

You can identify your encryption version by checking the properties of your system's SCHANNEL.DLL file. To do so, launch Explorer and go to the System32 folder. Find the file SCHANNEL.DLL, right-click on it, and choose Properties from the context menu. If you see Domestic Use Only on the Version tab, you have 128-bit encryption. If you see Export version, you're running 40-bit encryption.

Another easy way to identify your version is to look at contents of the file PRODSPEC.INI on the installation CD. You'll find it in the \I386 directory. The last line shouldread BitVersion=128 or BitVersion=40, depending on the installed version.

Back to Windows Forum
19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next