Question

set image resolution in PaintShopPro 6.01

By JADavis9 ·
OK, someone will want to kill me for asking a silly basic question about an old version ... but .....
Anyway, I have reinstalled PaintShopPro 6.01 on my tablet after a clean install of Windows XP. And now, when I do a screen print and use it to create an image, which I have been doing for many years successfully, I suddenly have an issue that I can't figure out.
In PSP, I right click and select Paste As New Image. Then I hit the Save icon and select JPG and name the file. The file looks nice. But when I close the file and then reopen it, the resolution is aweful!
But I have tried to figure out how to tune the resolution on images that I create before saving them, and I can't figure it out! This is probably pretty simple and basic and boy, do I feel stupid for needing to ask this. But I have tried to figure it out and have failed after working on this for more than an hour. So can someone help me?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

adding some info

by JADavis9 In reply to set image resolution in P ...

If I save an image as a PSP instead of as a JPG, it will save, close and reopen later with a very nice resolution just as it had when I originally create the image. But when I save it as a JPG, then close and re-open it, the image's resolution is horrible!
This still baffles me and I would sure like to stop this from happening! For sure, I like to always save images as JPGs so that anyone can open them and not only if they have Paint Shop Pro.

Collapse -

i personally

by PurpleSkys In reply to set image resolution in P ...

always just use MS paint to that kind of stuff. I've never had any kind of issue with it.

Collapse -

but I have Paint Shop Pro

and I sort-of know how to use it, so I would like to keep using it since that is what I am accustomed to and also it has some nice features that I like. So even though it is getting a little old and is version 6.01, I want to make it work again for me. I haven't used MS Paint any.

Collapse -

This maybe of some assistance here

by OH Smeg In reply to set image resolution in P ...

http://www.baycongroup.com/paint_shop_pro/tutorials.htm

But as I have never used PSP 6.0 it sounds as if the images being saved as jpeg's are saved in Web Resolution which is considerably lower resolution.

Collapse -

more input from me before watching tutorials

I was told on another site to click Options on the Save window and select Uncompressed when I am saving it the first time. But I have tried that and the result was the same silly awful image resolution after I closed the file and then reopened the saved file. But it was great originally before I had closed it that first time. I posted a pic online of this bad image at http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=193022170728106&set=a.193022154061441.44368.100000609734900&theater

Collapse -

desktop screen resolution an issue?

Someone told me that my desktop screen resolution could be an issue when saving a screenprint image. That seems wrong to me, since the image looks really, really nice in PaintShopPro until after I save it using the Uncompressed option that is in the Options box on the Save As box that pops up that first time that I save it. But, it is so ugly when I save it, close it and then reopen it! It was perfect before and I could scroll the mouse to enlargen it and it was still really perfect,but now it isn't even readable!
More info: If I have already saved a JPG this way, as oposed to a PSP which I never use, when I click on Options, the box that it pops open has it checked Standard Encoding (not checked in Progressive Encoding) and says Compression Factor 99%)
SOLVED!
I switched it to 0% Compression and it is awesome (of course!) Boy, do I feel silly but happy!

Collapse -

solved by saving into My Docs

Well, I was wrong again. Oops!
My issue wasn't resolved by changing to that Uncompressed option, but I have found a solution and I have no idea how to fix it. I was told that my issue was being caused by the resolution on my desktop and that since the JPG image that I created in Paint Shop Pro from a screenprint,was being saved on my Desktop, this could be the issue. So I created one and then saved it in My Docs and viola'! It re-opens as the beautiful image that it was when I created it!
So this nice helper over at Microsoft Answers will hopefully teach me how to set my desktop resolution and then I can save them to the desktop, use them and find them easily to delete them. If he doesn't follow up with me and teach me, you know that I'll be back here asking for help!

Back to Tablets Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)