Question

Set up Standard Stand alone Server 2008 VPN Machine

By mbmendoza71 ·
I have been requested by a client of mine to set up a VPN Connection using a Standard Stand alone Server 2008. The client machine will be running XP Pro with service pack 3. The research I've done has lead me to believe that service pack 3 will not support SSTP within Server 2008 VPN. Question, can I use other protocols such as PPTP or L2TP instead of SSTP. Do I have to have 2 NICs in my Server? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Server 2008 VPN machine

by GameDr04 In reply to Set up Standard Stand alo ...

This is probably way too late but you're right about XPSP3 not supporting SSTP.

I've messed a lot with VPNs on Server 2k3 and 2k8. It can be done with one physical NIC and a Virtual NIC called a "Looback" adapter (which you add by Adding New Hardware and choosing from a list of existing network adapters).

The physical NIC is the one you say has Internet access (when setting up the VPN) and the Loopback adapter is the addressing NIC. This works with or without Active Directory, DNS setup or DHCP set up.

After it's setup, you have to go to the RRAS role in your server manager and under IPv4 > NAT, (for both adapters) enable "Public interface connected to the Internet" and "Enable NAT on this interface".

Collapse -

Any more info on setting up 2k8 VPN with one nic

by granb002 In reply to Server 2008 VPN machine

I installed a loopback adapter and I'm having problems authenticating. I'm getting an error saying the password is incorrect but I know that it isn't (security event ID 4625, system event 20271). What IP address, etc. did you give the loopback? How did you set up the services and port exceptions? Are there any helpful links you can suggest?

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)