Question

Setting default language in Word 2007?

By UtopiaBoy ·
I just noticed last week that nearly every word in my Word 2007 documents were showing red lines underneath as if misspelled. I checked in Word Options and discovered that my default language had changed to French. So I followed the troubleshooting instructions and confirmed that in my control panel and in Office Tools that my default language is English. So what could be overriding those English instructions? How do I get out of this language ****?
Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Precision 670
Word 2007 12.0.6535.5002, SP2 MSO 12.0 6535.5002
Thank you for any suggestions
P.S. I have RegZooka, as TechRepublic endorsed, and have cleaned up any registry problems

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Review - Proofing - Set Language

by oldbaritone In reply to Setting default language ...

select all of the text in the document and change it to English.

The text was created while the default language was French, so you need to tell Word that everything is English.

Good Luck.

Collapse -

easy fix

by nccastle In reply to Setting default language ...

Word has its own language settings. It is really useful if you go back and forth between languages, but clearly you don't need it. Select all of the text in the document. Then, go to the Review tab and select set language. Choose the correct language. Then, click default which will set that language as the default.

Collapse -

May need to be saved into normal.dot

by TobiF In reply to easy fix

I don't have office 2007 at hands to check this, but while setting the default language as indicated above, also check that your changes are saved back to normal.dot
At least in office 2003, I could select no/ask/yes whether normal.dot should be saved upon exit from word. Force saving by temporarily quitting word.

Edit: Ah. Also make sure that your client has write access to the normal.dot template.
If your company has a central storage for all templates, and normal users only have read access, then you're lucky, because you only need to update this one instance of normal.dot (or whatever the default word template is called in office 2007... :) )

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)