General discussion

Setting up a used Cisco Router 2524

By riceski ·
I have been given a used [ was working] Cisco Router when a company updated/upgraded. I have not gotten any paper work and there is one slot filled with something that appears to be a T1 set up with cable abilities. I have not even trid to boot it and am hoping to track down the paperwork. Is their anything I need to know right off?
Regard,
Gary Rice

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Setting up a used Cisco R ...

Well, Cisco does have a policy regarding used equipment.

Take a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ordering/or6/or17/order_refurbished_equipment_software_transfer_and_licensing_overview.html

Basically, if there is any software involved you are required to purchase a license from Cisco in order to use any of their equipment from the used or gray market.

Chas

Collapse -

by mshavrov In reply to Setting up a used Cisco R ...

If you work in networking / telecom, and you are going to get Cisco certified, it may be a good start to build your own lab. If not - just sell it on eBay (check for similar items, how much they worth).

Collapse -

by drsysadmin In reply to Setting up a used Cisco R ...

Good info above on the licensing of the IOS. As for the actual "what do I need to know to work with this thing", you need to make sure you get the login, enable and, if applicable, enable secret passwords. Otherwise, your going to have to wipe the entire config and rebuild it from scratch.

If your not real sure about how to work with/play on a router, getting a good book will help - my suggestion on that would be a CCNA study guide. On that - make it one well written. I personally recommend ones by Sybex, but thats up to you.
Luck!
Dr. Sys

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)