General discussion

Setting Up DSL in a windows 2000 network

By bfeltus ·
I have a windows 2000 network with active directory. I just got dsl (Yahoo sbc, dynamic ip address, modem included). I purchased a linksys BEFSR41 Router. I have 8 workstations that need to share the internet connection.

Currently, the workstations have a static ip addresses and the preferred DNS server is the windows 2000 server.
if my server's ip is 192.168.1.5
my workstations use the the address ranges 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.50
The subnet is 255.255.255.0
Let's say the router's address is:192.168.1.6 and I decide to let the workstations get their addresses from the router.

What do I need to configure on the router and what do I need to configure on the server. Should I give the server internet access. I think the router has a built in firewall, is this correct?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cp409sd In reply to Setting Up DSL in a windo ...

I think the easiest way is, within the router, you can enable DHCP. You will need to tell the router the correct range of IP addresses to give out to your workstations, like 192.168.1.40 thru 192.168.10.50. You will be using NAT on the router to share your internet connection. It usually comes this way be default. After that, set all the workstations to "Obtain an IP address Automatically". I would give the server internet access, but I would keep the server on a static IP like you have it. Just configure the server's default gateway to the router's internal IP address. (say 192.168.1.1) Yes, most routers have a build in firewall.

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Setting Up DSL in a windo ...

A Q#1. enable DHCP on the router.
A Q#2. Default Gateway IP address [router IP address]

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

A Q#1 continued: have all workstations connect to the router [hope you have enough ports] and /or use a hub/switch with uplink to router for workstations if there are more than 4. Have server & all workstations obtain IP & DNS as automatic discovery. Note: internet access by workstations won't work if you have the server as DNS authoritative which the workstations connecting directly to the router. IE or whatever flavor browser your using will alway return an internal error page. Workstations will be trying to to use the server to gain DNS information when it's your ISP's DNS information they need.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

Now lets say that you have your workstations connect to the server for domain authentication and use the server as a proxy for worstation internet access. Then you can't use the routers DHCP feature but have to use W2K DHCP or a static routing scheme. But lets say you don't want to do that, you want workstations connect to the server via a switch BUT get their NAT IP addresses from the router's DHCP by configuring worstations to obtain IP address automatically with the router as the default gateway and your DLS ISP's DNS.

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to

Collapse -

by gooseneck In reply to Setting Up DSL in a windo ...

All the answers above are good. What I would do is this. Because Windows XP and Windows 2000 clients use DNS in a Windows 2000 Domain to authenticate, I would point all clients to the server ip address for DNS queries. You will need DNS setup on the server before this can work. If you are running Active Directory then this should have already been done. If a Win2k or Xp client is pointing to external dns server and not internal login validation to the domain will be slow. So, with that in mind, enable dhcp on the server and configure the options (DNS server, gateway address, domain name, etc...). Sometimes when you are using the Internal DNS server to pass external request users may not immediately be able to access the Internet. The reason for this is because of the DNS cache has not been updated with the root servers. To force connections externally uses forwarders in DNS. You will then need an external DNS server. I hope this helps.

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to Setting Up DSL in a windo ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)