General discussion

Setting up Server 2003

By the_wolf_of_badenoch ·
Hi, Short time reader, first time poster. heh.

So here is what I have before me. A box with a clean server 2003 r2. My mission, should I choose to accept it, is to create a domain controller which also, i suppose obviously, give out dhcp.

Complication is that My networking knoledge is at the home level. While I understand some of the topics and theories involved, I need to get a real rundown on what I need to setup and in what order. I tried to just install active directory and a dhcp server using the knowledge I have now and they both looked fine in the admin consoles, but niether did what they should have, as far as I know.

So, what I need is either a comprehensive guide, which i have many and none seem to answer my rudimentry questions, or a kind spirit to help me by answering my questions as they come.

Thanks,

Scott

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Read read watch

by iain.wright In reply to Setting up Server 2003

Active Directory functionality is pretty amazing. You can do an unlimited amount of things with AD and 2003 Server R2. I suggest watching all of the AD webcasts and taking notes available for free on technet, these really helped me. I started with a little more knowledge than you claimed to have, watched all of these, read the oriely books on DHCP/DNS and also the Server 2003 Book and was able to create a DC that manages 50 buisness critical users, replicates to another DC about a mile away, that manages DNS and DHCP.

Simple DNS Tutorial:
http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/dns2003/

AD Technet webcasts:
http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/adaug.mspx

The webcasts will refer you to particular books and tutorials for the material covered at the end of each presentation.

Good luck!

IW

Collapse -

Site architechture?

by carlsondale In reply to Setting up Server 2003

Wolf, what's your site architecture look like? In other words, are there other servers in use (like for file/print serving, DNS, email, etc), are client computers on the network, and if so, how are they set up (are they on the domain, and are they set to get IP addresses automatically (from a DHCP server)?)and how many? How is the network set up? Does the server have an Internet connection (directly, or is it behind a firewall)?

That's probably a lot of stuff to get your head around (really big white boards help to get the big picture). I guess the bottom line is that you (and we) need to know the whole picture before figuring out what you're going to do with that server.

As far as DHCP: in an AD domain, the DHCP server has to be authorized by AD after the service is created. You then have to create at least one scope (a range of private IP addresses to use), and then activate that scope.

Collapse -

Ah, yes...

by the_wolf_of_badenoch In reply to Site architechture?

Right, things I should have told you, heh.

Small business. The business network has probably 10 or fewer computers on it. It is behind a router. Behind that router I have another one so as to have a closed network within the grand network.

Ideally this server will serve dhcp to the business network and make it a domain. No other servers on the network and as it stands I'm installing and testing this server from behind the closed network. It does have internet and therefore must in the end.

Anything else I can tell you?

Collapse -

Just a little bit more

by carlsondale In reply to Ah, yes...

I'm trying to figure out if you really need a domain. At first glance, just the size of your company would indicate that you wouldn't need a domain. But.... if your company is planning on some large expansion, or if you need to sequester different groups of users based on access to different network resources (like Marketing guys need access to a Marketing share, and Engineering guys need access to an Engineering share, but you/they don't want them to access each other's shares), or if your company needs to authenticate users before they access network resources (like file servers, printers, etc), you might need a domain.

If you just require some services like DHCP, file and printer sharing, or shared Internet access, you don't really need to setup a domain.

You could even setup Internet Connection Sharing on your server, and it will allocate IP addresses to your client computers (it has a default IP range that you cannot configure, but it doesn't sound like you'd need to do that anyway)

Collapse -

Well you see....

by the_wolf_of_badenoch In reply to Just a little bit more

Two reasons we want a Domain. #1 is we were told it would speed up network traffic. I don't really buy that, but I'm not the boss.

The second is for, yes, setting up groups to better control who has what and who can do what.
I'm also thinking it might be advantagous with a vpn, but I don't know enough about that to decide right now.

I guess one of my main questions was about timeline. What should I install/make sure works first? I assume I need the dhcp up and going before I can do the domain?

Collapse -

First....

by carlsondale In reply to Well you see....

Setup the domain first - everything else you do later will revolve around it (for example, the DHCP server needs to be authorized by Active Directory before it will start leasing addresses).

Type dcpromo into the Run line and the AD Installation wizard will start up. It will also install DNS at the same time.

Some words of advice: Like iain said, read up. I'd recommend school textbooks having to do MCSE certifications 70-290 and 70-291. And the reason I recommend school books is that they'll have exercises that will walk you through most of the things that you need to do. I recommend either those from Thomson Course Technology, or MS Press (self-paced training kits).

You might also think about doing an additional installation of 2003 on an offline computer. Doesn't need to be much of computer, but it needs to be something you can practice or test new processes on (You could even install a virtual server on your own desktop if it's powerful enough, using Virtual PC, which is free). NEVER, ever, install software, a Windows component, patch, rollup, hotfix, service pack, or make a change to the AD infrastructure, without first practicing/testing on your offline machine and seeing for yourself what the results are.

Finally, if this is the only and primary machine your company is going to be using, backup, backup, backup (and see if they'll spring for another server to provide fault tolerance and higher availability - no machine ever built can provide 100% availability).

Wolf, as they say here in the South (well, sometimes) you got a long row to hoe. I wish you luck.

Collapse -

similar circumstances

by murphy_6761 In reply to Setting up Server 2003

Scott,
Your post sounds like I could have written it, except that I did not start my setup quite yet. I am still backing up the old server machine, and decided to start reading as much as I can before jumping in head first.

Please let us know how you are making out, especially any bad things you may have done!!

I am planning to start with 1 domain, for now, dhcp. My machine will be mostly a file server, and maybe doing VPN down the road, but I will be starting simply at the moment. 7 users right now, more to come later.

Back to IT Employment Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)