Question

Setting up VPN to LinkSys RVS4000, crashed WinXP system

By jdclyde ·
Have a LinkSys RVS4000, running Firmware V 1.1.14.

Made A VPN account on the router, and activated it.

Went home, installed the QuickVPN client that came with the router. V4.0.100.119.0 from 2006
on a WinXP Pro SP3 system last night. When I tried to connect to the router, it got to the point of verifying, and then hung. ALL network connectivity on that system stopped while this process was going on. After 15 minutes and no change, I killed the process.

Ever since then, the pc has not been able to connect to the network. It still resolves it's IP address via DHCP, but can not even ping the gateway.

I have uninstalled the QuickVPN software, no change.

I have run the WinSocFix utility, no change.

I have removed and reinstalled the NIC, no change.

How do I restore connectivity to this system that the QuickVPN client killed?

When I get home, I will try to boot to a previous restore point. That is the only thing I haven't done yet that I can think of.

Anyone got any ideas? (actually connecting to the LinkSys will be another question, AFTER I fix my desktop.)

Thanks!

jd

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I hate that router...

by ---TK--- In reply to Setting up VPN to LinkSys ...

Anyways, the basic Q's but... If you go into cmd, what out put do you get when you run an ipconfig /all? is the Gateway even showing up? how bout when you go to Network Connections > View network connections, is the VPN adapter still in there? If it is delete it (or disable it), and run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew...

just as an fyi when I updated the firmware to that router it turned it into a paper weight...

**added** what about statically assigning your IP? does that work?

Collapse -

outputs

by jdclyde In reply to I hate that router...

Yes, the gateway shows up in the ipconfig.

The vpn adapter WAS there, until I uninstalled the client.

several reboots in between...

Will try to manually release and renew tonight.

Thanks for ideas.

Please, tell me more about your experience with that router. Did you ever get it to work? I have three of these pigs I have to work with, and would hate to have to replace them. They are connected via VPN now, and I will need to add in VPN clients.

If your experience is longer, could you peer me on it? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

jd

Collapse -

It all started with the VPN (ironic)

by ---TK--- In reply to outputs

I was doing the exact same thing you were doing, I could never get a PC to successfully VPN in....

As far as the router goes, After I set up the VPN clients and configured the router. I noticed that my network and internet was getting really slow. I rebooted the router, and speeds were back to normal. an hour later of troubleshooting the VPN, the network started to get slow again. I then searched for a Firmware update, updated the firmware on the router, rebooted it, then the router wouldn't even go through the boot process....

Collapse -

2nd post.....

by ---TK--- In reply to It all started with the V ...

At that point in time I had two ISP's, lol... long story. So I was able config the router, and test it right away since one pc was on one ISP and the router was on the other ISP... Im thinking my issue was a faulty hardware issue.

Collapse -

What did linksys/cisco do about it?

by jdclyde In reply to It all started with the V ...

Was if fixed?

Was it replaced?

Whatwhatwhat???

Collapse -

I replaced it with a D-Link.....

by ---TK--- In reply to What did linksys/cisco do ...

port forwarded to an XP PRO box that accepts my VPN connection... Since I am the only one that needes access to my network... it works...

**added** I didn't even bother contacting Cisco, b/c it was a year or two old... I purchased it right when it came out.

Collapse -

I need to connect roaming users

by jdclyde In reply to I replaced it with a D-Li ...

so that they can get in from anywhere.

And I do not know how old these boxes are, but I assume they are from 06, because of the timestamp on the CD.

I am not pleased....

Collapse -

Interesting note

by jdclyde In reply to Setting up VPN to LinkSys ...

Went into the Router, and it showed the client was connected.
Username Status Start Time End Time Duration
jd connected 17:46 - 21:20

I manually selected to "disconnect"

Collapse -

couple W/S ideas

by shasca In reply to Setting up VPN to LinkSys ...

Try running Task Manager and see if any service is still running that would be related to the QuickVpn client. I would also look at msconfig to see if there is anything loading at startup that keeps NIC from connecting.
Anything in Device manager that shows any problem with hardware?

Since the VPN software creates a vurtual NIC it can issues with the default NIC.

Collapse -

Device manager...

by ---TK--- In reply to couple W/S ideas

Could be a "hidden device" and didnt properly uninstall....
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/504/how-to-uninstall-hidden-devices-drivers-and-services/

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next